Thinking about getting a basic chainsaw mill

Ian88

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian, we've just recieved a 30" mill from Rob.

Its brilliant for our arb arisings, only thing is, its not big enough.

Measured it today and the 30" mill gives only 21.5" of cut on our MS880

Can't put the end of the mill too near the end of the bar as it may pinch the nose.

Same on the inner side with the dogs.

If you're getting a new saw anyway, i'd go for at least 36" maybe even in the 40's.

Also, get the mini mill, its brilliant too.

You'll be hard pushed to find a better supplier than Rob off here.

Explains everything in common english, and is more than willing to answer any questions you may have

Just had my 560xp in the mini mill with 18"bar edging up some 8" beams, what a saw this is for its size! normaly would have a 046 for this job but was playing and came out very impresed with the smaller saw but would not want to go any lower on cc's.

As any miller will tell you its all about a sharp chain, very very important!!

We had a day playing about a while back and put my 550 on the mini mill not expecting much - reckon it gave the best finish out of all the saws we used that day. Admittedly most were set up for felling on normal chain, including full chisel on the 066 but the 550 was fresh from felling too.

Have set your discounts up!

Cheers, I have just got the saw but now cant afford the mill for now. Some time over the next few weeks I will be putting an order in all being well.

Hi Ian, we've just recieved a 30" mill from Rob.

Its brilliant for our arb arisings, only thing is, its not big enough.

Measured it today and the 30" mill gives only 21.5" of cut on our MS880

Can't put the end of the mill too near the end of the bar as it may pinch the nose.

Same on the inner side with the dogs.

If you're getting a new saw anyway, i'd go for at least 36" maybe even in the 40's.

Also, get the mini mill, its brilliant too.

You'll be hard pushed to find a better supplier than Rob off here.

Explains everything in common english, and is more than willing to answer any questions you may have

Sound advice, I expect I will go for the 36" the next one up is 48" and that sounds excessive for my needs and would be to much for my saw. Also, mini mill, I can see that being some thing that I am going to want in the future but for now I just don't have the money.

Also is there any interesting reading material out there for chainsaw saw mills? Cutting, storing, seasoning time and different wood properties? I would know enough to get my self going but I am sure there is a lot to learn.

Which saw did you go for?

The classic book is Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff. It's available for a much better price via abebooks.co.uk than anywhere else, or get it from the library.

I can't remember whether it covers seasoning or not, but the key points if you have minimal kit and control over your environment are mill from October to March, stack with stickers in vertical lines, about every 2ft down your boards, and do it quickly after milling. Stack in the shade, with an air gap all round, in such a way that rain can't run in on the board surfaces. Let it air dry for six months per inch of thickness.

Hope this helps.

Alec

There's plenty of info out there...

First thing to look at is -

• What are you going to do with the timber?

As this will help tell you what to mill.

If you're like me the first thing you think is 'I want a mill, I've bought one and now I want to use it!' - but a bit of a plan will play huge dividends later.

:biggrin:

The Malloff book is quite old - 1982 according to Ian's link.

I guess the basics of milling have not changed, but what about something with modern equipment options? Or is google the only option?

Basically, the Alaskan mill is the same (can't remember if it's the Mark III in the book but it doesn't really matter), big powerheads are the same and wood is still as big, ugly and awkward as ever. Not much to update. People have played with chain options to increase speed, and tried thinner bars to decrease kerf, but they haven't really made any significant difference. About the biggest advance I can think of is Rob D's precision chain grinder!

Alec