Late cancellations as a subbie... Charge? Fee?

swinny

Why should any subby have his own PLI if he is purely subbing out? The main employer wins the job, takes the risk, makes the profit, it is up to him to employ the right person for the job. Therefore, if he knows someone is a bit careless, it is the employers fault if something is broken, pay a bit more and get a better subby, or pay a bit less and accept the risk. Accidents will happen on a rare occasion, and this has to be taken into account. If the level of damage is unacceptable, then get another subby, plenty advertise here and elsewhere for work.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should any subby have his own PLI if he is purely subbing out? The main employer wins the job, takes the risk, makes the profit, it is up to him to employ the right person for the job. Therefore, if he knows someone is a bit careless, it is the employers fault if something is broken, pay a bit more and get a better subby, or pay a bit less and accept the risk. Accidents will happen on a rare occasion, and this has to be taken into account. If the level of damage is unacceptable, then get another subby, plenty advertise here and elsewhere for work.

The subbies I know have insurance because they do their own work also, if anyone working for me breaks or damages anything due to carelessness or stupidity then they pay.

Fair enough though I think you are lucky to find anyone to work for you. Personally I think it's wrong to charge the labour when you are making the profit from the job, and I wouldn't. But then I want people to do the job right, and they are paid to do it right, not to rush through and onto the next job. But we all have to run our jobs the way we see fit, don't take this as a personal dig, it's not intended that way. :001_smile:

if anyone working for me breaks or damages anything due to carelessness or stupidity then they pay.

Fair enough though I think you are lucky to find anyone to work for you.

If things are broken through carelessness or stupidity then its not an accident and should be paid for by the culprit IMO....I don't see why the main contractor should have his profit eaten into because of someone elses incompetence.

If things are broken through carelessness or stupidity then its not an accident and should be paid for by the culprit IMO....I don't see why the main contractor should have his profit eaten into because of someone elses incompetence.

I agree with that but if it were an employee who was careless or stupid, deducting damages is not legal and since a freelancer is in effect an employee for the day, I wonder what the legal standpoint would be on that.

I agree with that but if it were an employee who was careless or stupid, deducting damages is not legal and since a freelancer is in effect an employee for the day, I wonder what the legal standpoint would be on that.

Anyone with any scruples would offer to pay if they knew they were at fault and it could have been avoided IMO.

As said above, I think the culprit should make the offer to pay, they it's up to the boss whether or not he deems it necessary. You get a feel for people's ways, as you well know Steve, and as such neither you or I would employ certain people because of that, unacceptable risk.

But there are others who through misfortune, aberration or even one momentary lapse (completely out of character) do Far more expensive damage. I have also seen the effect of pushing the staff too hard to get more done than they are capable of, corners get cut and damage "happens", who is to blame? the subby trying to rush to get through too much work set for the day, the subby pushed beyond his realistic abilities, weather turns crappy and in the rush to get done something gets damaged? This is down to the boss, simples, he should price it according to his staffing abilities, or pay more for better staff.

This is very different to the subby who doesn't give a damn, chucks tools out of trees, doesn't use a lowering line cos he can't be bothered and so on.

As said above, I think the culprit should make the offer to pay, they it's up to the boss whether or not he deems it necessary. You get a feel for people's ways, as you well know Steve, and as such neither you or I would employ certain people because of that, unacceptable risk.

But there are others who through misfortune, aberration or even one momentary lapse (completely out of character) do Far more expensive damage. I have also seen the effect of pushing the staff too hard to get more done than they are capable of, corners get cut and damage "happens", who is to blame? the subby trying to rush to get through too much work set for the day, the subby pushed beyond his realistic abilities, weather turns crappy and in the rush to get done something gets damaged? This is down to the boss, simples, he should price it according to his staffing abilities, or pay more for better staff.

This is very different to the subby who doesn't give a damn, chucks tools out of trees, doesn't use a lowering line cos he can't be bothered and so on.

very true, i used to sub for a bloke who would cram so many jobs in youd not be gattin back to yard till 7 some nights after a 7 am start,for no extra,and so always felt really pushed,not a safe working environment

:thumbup::thumbup: I usually get ,,its not my fault,,or the most common " it wasnt me":confused1: