Late cancellations as a subbie... Charge? Fee?

swinny

I do do logs, and thats what i went and did. But i want money in the bank each week..... not to wait till next winter for a return. I don't have my eggs in one basket, there are a few companies to work for... it wouldn't be the end of the world to finish where i sub...

You may not have worked for plonkers or people that only give a toss about themselves, but i'm slowly waiding through the bull Cheers

You have still not told us why it was cancelled, to me the reason for the cancellation would make all the difference, it could be for any number of reasons, some acceptable and some not.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In these straightened times it not a good idea to walk away from work, some people are less reliable, not necessarily because they are bad people, just disorganised or a bit lazy.

The thing to do is work out who need "nursing" a bit and who are dead reliable.

The less reliable ones need a call the night before and maybe ask a few questions about whats happening if its "a bit wet", "chucking down", "windy", etc.

Also try to have a plan B for the days when your hoping to be working for the less reliable ones.

But as we don't know why your day was cancelled all the above be be of no use.

Swings and roundabouts I think Chris.

I've had work cancelled the eve before a job was supposed to start, and I think you just have to take it on the chin.

There have been occasions when I turned up on site and have the contractor back out of doing the job. On such occasions I do ask (not unreasonably IMO) for a small financial consideration to cover me for travel/fuel expenses maybe £20-£40.

On other occasions I've been booked for 3 days, nailed the job in 2 and been happy to accept 50% of my fee for the day I was no longer required.

Never been my experience (yet!), but if I had a client who cancelled too often at short notice then I might insist on some form of cancellation fee the next time they booked me just to remind them not to take the P.

The only times I've ever let a client down at the last minute has been due to a car accident, on the way to a job, a car breakdown, on the way to a job! And when I broke me bloody leg the other month, and I had to let the client know I could'nt work 3 days before I was due to start a 3 month contract which I had spent weeks helping to organise and set up!

Like others have said, think it depends on the circumstances as to what's acceptable or not. Plan B's are always a god thing to have, but things like the weather aren't always so predictable.

We've had it a time or two where the weather's been OK when set off, to find it torrential when we reached site (also had it the other way where it's been torrential at home but apparently fine on site) - who's fault is that if it's deemed unworkable?

Usually if someone's turned up but the weather's scuppered it before we've started then Fuel money's usually offered. If we've gotten a start but knocked on the head a good bit before dinner then it's usually half day. All depends on the job - if you've rocked up to do a day on tonnage then who's pocket is it going to come out of?

As others have also said - reckon if you charge them it will only happen the once as you'll not get a second chance to.

An odd 3 or 4 day week shouldn't be the end of the world - if you can't stand missing an odd day's wage then maybe you're trying to live beyond your means? Try dealing with some of the bigger sawmills who won't pay for over three months - that'll test your cash flow :sneaky2:

Embrace a day off - there's more to life than working :thumbup: (though it took me a while to realise it :blushing:)

Like others have said, think it depends on the circumstances as to what's acceptable or not. Plan B's are always a god thing to have, but things like the weather aren't always so predictable.

We've had it a time or two where the weather's been OK when set off, to find it torrential when we reached site (also had it the other way where it's been torrential at home but apparently fine on site) - who's fault is that if it's deemed unworkable?

Usually if someone's turned up but the weather's scuppered it before we've started then Fuel money's usually offered. If we've gotten a start but knocked on the head a good bit before dinner then it's usually half day. All depends on the job - if you've rocked up to do a day on tonnage then who's pocket is it going to come out of?

As others have also said - reckon if you charge them it will only happen the once as you'll not get a second chance to.

An odd 3 or 4 day week shouldn't be the end of the world - if you can't stand missing an odd day's wage then maybe you're trying to live beyond your means? Try dealing with some of the bigger sawmills who won't pay for over three months - that'll test your cash flow :sneaky2:

Embrace a day off - there's more to life than working :thumbup: (though it took me a while to realise it :blushing:)

good post

If I use a climber it is usually for a job that requires more staff and maybe me on the floor managing the site. I believe that in a lot of situations it is of benefit to have the chargehand/supervisor/business owner etc on the deck managing as they can manage the site better on the floor than from a tree. Hence a quality climber is needed and i dont climb that day.. Purely my opinion.

If a shift is cancelled it is usually a joint decision between myself and the climber, and usually relates to poor weather. There is only one subbie out of four that I use who doesnt care what the weather is like. Rain or shine he will climb!!

If it was teeming down, and I wouldnt want to climb a particular tree in poor weather, i always ring and say to the climber 'thats the job, do you want to work today?'

I was taught never expect someone to do something you wouldnt want to do. So if I OFFERED the days wage in the rain and you took it, we'd go out to work. We'd row all day because we are wet, cold and aggrieved at the conditions, then go home and forget all about it.

I cancelled a day recently because my propshaft gearbox and clutch went all at once the day before, in that situ you aint going anywhere in that truck. If the climber had have said i want any kind of money donation id have said dont ring me again.

To be honest if I paid a climber 120-150 a day to chop logs id want to sell them on the stock market not to the general public.

I have had climbers cancel, sometimes not even ring to cancel and we are in the yard waiting and end up out working under manned and late home. But what the heck, its character building.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to have to let somebody down then imagine how you would feel if they said you owe fred bloggs 150 quid as he did your shift. What would be your honest response?

Can see where your coming from but i wouldnt use you from the outset if you announced such apparent biased conditions of engagement.

Edited by jaime bray