Well, wild wood was rubbish so........

normandylumberjack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So last night he's making charcoal. Quite a good episode I thought. Anyone have a guess at how many cube of hazel he put in the kiln? ie. I think he said the charcoal had a street value of £250. Would he have got more by logging it up?

It's always something that has appealed to me and we do have a lot of hazel coppice.

So last night he's making charcoal. Quite a good episode I thought. Anyone have a guess at how many cube of hazel he put in the kiln? ie. I think he said the charcoal had a street value of £250. Would he have got more by logging it up?

It's always something that has appealed to me and we do have a lot of hazel coppice.

But when he was at the pub, they agreed to take the charcoal at £4/bag. As he took 5kg bags as samples that means he was getting 80p/kg.

I thought selling to a pub was a good idea, but not one halfway across the country.

I used to make charcoal, but it was a dirty old job and you can't really give it away where I live.

I've just watched this show back-to-back on IPlayer.

Ain't you lot a bunch of growlers!

I found it both entertaining & informative - the stuff on charcoal making & horse logging, timber selection & woodland biodiversity was interesting & well informed.

Apart from that muppet Pablo, the show was populated by people who obviously knew their stuff.

Wild Wood is aimed at the armchair viewer who knows next to nothing about woodlands or the skills needed to work therein.

You have to give it some credit - what other programmes pay any interest to our profession? Ax Men? (Macho crap). Countryfile? (Lip service). If you want to watch anything with a woodland setting you're limited to In The Night Garden or Tree Fu Tom on CBeeBies.....

Plus I learnt that it's OK to eat squirrel after it's been dead 8 months...

Cummon guys, it was way better than TOWIE FFS..... :001_tongue:

I found it both entertaining & informative - the stuff on charcoal making & horse logging, timber selection & woodland biodiversity was interesting & well informed.

Apart from that muppet Pablo, the show was populated by people who obviously knew their stuff.

Wild Wood is aimed at the armchair viewer who knows next to nothing about woodlands or the skills needed to work therein.

You have to give it some credit - what other programmes pay any interest to our profession? Ax Men? (Macho crap). Countryfile? (Lip service). If you want to watch anything with a woodland setting you're limited to In The Night Garden or Tree Fu Tom on CBeeBies.....

I agree

It's easy to knock and the program is about showing the viewer what goes on.

At least they didn't flinch at showing a squirrel being killed.

The money side of it is obviously laughable but thats not the point. He is learning.

I watched most of them and really enjoyed the show.

You're right, it's good to see a programme about people working in woods, my only reservation is that this has been such a shabby effort. If they'd had the motivation to make a programme of quality, such as How Britain Worked - Channel 4 i think they'd have had nowt but praise.

Countryfile had an episode a couple of weeks back featuring Ben Law - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/49783-countryfile.html - you must've missed it :001_tongue: