Rob D killing the art of sharpening

DN22 Gardening

Hi all,

I think chainsaw sharpening may be on the way out.

The reason........

The 12v sharpener that Robs selling for £50

Its just too easy, theres no fun winding the groundie up any more when he's sharpened the saw and it cuts worse than before he mutilated it...

After 10 mins play today, we'd got it up and running to my liking.

It took all of another 10 mins to sharpen a totally mullered chain off the 36" husky !!!!!

We were ringing up a quite naily Horse chestnut butt, so the sharpener got quite a good workout.

Can highly recommend these to anyone, a good £50 spent

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are very good. I use mine for sharpening the chain on the 088 for milling - I still hand sharpen everything else though, unless I've hit something nasty. Main reason for the electric sharpening apart from the speed of it is that I don't need to take the saw out of the sawmill to sharpen it. That in itself is a huge help.

Glad you're liking it!

I've started using it on my other saws now a lot more..... had a chain on Husky 346 that had 25% left in it. Hand sharpened and was cutting like a dull chain so used the precision grinder to get the teeth consistent and then used a 5/16" stone to do the depth guages all the same height. It doesn't give the depth guages a great shape but it's not bad and was very quick to do. Result - chain cutting perfectly again.

Got a bit of confession to make :blushing: as until recently I'd not been lining up the chain 'holders' correctly - I'd always had them below the rivets when they should be just above. This meant the chain was pulling up as it was sharpened. Now it stays firmly in position.

:001_smile:

597662266c076_Flipandrippics017.jpg.9fdb5dfba7fe9f130cb19ff0a2fcf944.jpg

597662266a1de_Flipandrippics014.jpg.fdf921265ca92502506a64ebd256d2e1.jpg

I won't ever be using one of these, a round file in the right hands will bring even the worst chain back in well under 10 minuets, grab a new file and its even quicker.

I reckon the masters of the art of sharpening will carry on and they will pass it on to the next generation of pro's.

I won't ever be using one of these, a round file in the right hands will bring even the worst chain back in well under 10 minuets, grab a new file and its even quicker.

I reckon the masters of the art of sharpening will carry on and they will pass it on to the next generation of pro's.

Honestly 'Huck, in the right situation, it's superb. For instance, it's not possible to file a saw in an Alaskan Mill by hand unless you take the saw out of the mill. What takes 2-4 minutes with the electric grinder would take 15 or so by hand.

On very damaged chains, they are fantastic for getting a rough edge back. Then hand sharpen for final finish.

I would like to think of myself as someone who is quite proficient at hand sharpening (will happily cut all day on one sharpen, such is the edge I'm consistently getting), but there is a time and a place for grinders.

Don't knock it until you've tried it Dave!

I still enjoy hand filing but I just need a guide every third of fourth sharpen to get everything back right again.... not too proud to admit it and I've been sharpening 10 years.

You have to have a very good eye to get a chain spot on in terms of tooth length and shape so each tooth is taking the same bite - alas I have not got that eye! This guide gets it pretty much spot on and you don't have to think about it other than for the first tooth.