Check your gear!

Dan Curtis

i replaced my bridge on my seqouia, which this is, a few weeks back as the stitching in the middle, again where i spend most of the time connected, had come loose and the three pieces of material where separate. The stitching at the ends where fine but i still replaced it asap. Seems to be a common problem on these bridges, mine was just through wear and tear and i noticed it pretty quick as i tend to have a quick check over before i use it (the harness)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know a guy who I went for a rec climb with a few years ago. Casually told me at 60 feet 'I have to keep checking these screws, they won't tighten. Can't afford a new harness at the mo though'

It was the u bolt screws both ends of the bridge were knackered, and bridge knicked with a silky. Said he could just buy a new bridge. Nearly a year later of daily use and it hadnt changed!

Margin of safety on climbing gear must be quite high! :eek:

the problem is it will be manchine stitched so if one thread brakes both threads come loose, as they hold each other togeather but this does not happen with hand stiched hence why i get leather work stiched by hand

I would imagine the primary stitching at the ends and the stitching that runs the length of the bridge have different termination points, so the primary wouldnt be affect...(im assuming as I really dont know, but it would make perfect sense to me)

I've just replaced mine with some 8mm ocean polyester. Strong enough? Had a little hang in it and it seemed ok.

I used a rope bridge on my sequoia and found that the indents where the screws are sunk on the gold rings dug in and started to cut into the rope, i ended up using dyneema loop with the cover of poison ivy over the top of it, just remeber that all you weight is on the fishermans rather than 25% each like when it is used as friction chord so adjust the length of the tails appropriately. And also OP degrades in uv, and bear in mind that it isn't designed having a small bend radius ran along it back to forth.