load size education

borderfirewood

£60 is far to cheap IMO:)

Point taken Hodge, but I am afraid that is the way it is here. Lots of competition (lots of opportunists), plenty of timber available, and a market where people look at price more than anything else. Maintaining your customer base is OK as long as you are competitive, but generating new business is not easy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with big Dave. The big bag issue has complicated this subject. Just work out the volume of the bags available - 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, and ask Joe public if they can tell the difference...clearlysome are taking advantage of this fact.

If everything is relative to the standard unit of a cube, then all things are equal. It doesn't matter how big your truck is (just work it out). We sell in cubes and 1.3 cubes - all relative - as 1.3 is the volume of our D22 pick up (taking out the wheel arches).

that is exactly right!!!

we are in the metric age so everything should be in a metric measurement i.e a cubic meter

it is not hard to measure the back of your truck & work out the cubic capacity like float has

X multiplied by Y equals Z

the logs are £60 per cube the truck volume is 1.3M3 the cost of a load £78.00

if you sell by the cubic meter & your truck body is Y cubic meters & you charge the customer for the exact amount your truck holds you are well within the weights & measures act!

that is exactly right!!!

we are in the metric age so everything should be in a metric measurement i.e a cubic meter

it is not hard to measure the back of your truck & work out the cubic capacity like float has

X multiplied by Y equals Z

the logs are £60 per cube the truck volume is 1.3M3 the cost of a load £78.00

if you sell by the cubic meter & your truck body is Y cubic meters & you charge the customer for the exact amount your truck holds you are well within the weights & measures act!

x multiplied by z equals the AREA not the cubic capacity if i was taught right at school :001_huh:

x multiplied by z equals the AREA not the cubic capacity if i was taught right at school :001_huh:

thats if your working out area the sum is to work out the price of the load!

he already knows his truck body is 1.3m3 so Y=1.3m3

hence £60 per cube multiplied by 1.3 equals £78 per truck load!

should have made it a bit clear what i was working out but the cider had taken effect!!!!!:001_tt2:

One thing I will add if I may

People keep banging on about a .6 bag holds a .6 load of logs. They actually hold a lot more, I have stopped using them because the customer was getting much more than I was charging them for.

I filled an 85cm square bag with logs as we normally do with the bag suspended on the pallet forks. I then emptied the bag into a solid sided 85 x85 x 85 crate and it over flowed by quite a lot because the bag sides bulge. I put my bag prices up by a tenner because I was charging for 0.6 cu/m

One thing I will add if I may

People keep banging on about a .6 bag holds a .6 load of logs. They actually hold a lot more, I have stopped using them because the customer was getting much more than I was charging them for.

I filled an 85cm square bag with logs as we normally do with the bag suspended on the pallet forks. I then emptied the bag into a solid sided 85 x85 x 85 crate and it over flowed by quite a lot because the bag sides bulge. I put my bag prices up by a tenner because I was charging for 0.6 cu/m

Agreed. We recently aquired some bags which measured 150x90x90 - I make that 1.215 cubic metres.

We filled one up and compared it to some bags which we know to hold 0.8 cubic metres. The big bag held at least the same as two of the 0.8 bags.

Agreed. We recently aquired some bags which measured 150x90x90 - I make that 1.215 cubic metres.

We filled one up and compared it to some bags which we know to hold 0.8 cubic metres. The big bag held at least the same as two of the 0.8 bags.

Sometimes it depends on the quality of the bag. Some monofilament bags we put kindling in are the same measurement but hold 15% because they stretch. We have striped vented 1.5 cu bulk bags when emptied into our 1.5 cu truck we sometimes have to add more.