the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

I will just add this openly,

I do feel arbtalk seems to be sometimes, not all the time, but it seems to be a place of ignoring the reason for the works but focusing on how to put down the works. Ive seen it many a time on threads although the picture discussed isnt going to bother me too much. however id like to nip it in the bud now before it becomes one of those unsavory bits of a thread.

So the tree was decided to be heavily drop crothched. This is to retain the value of it and reduce its risk to a target. We may if the client permits in the future, as the crown develops reduce the laterals in to create a squat crown. However for the time being it will be left to recover/develop/rot/look unsightly for a period. Not to mention the habitat that has been retained to stay part of the eco system rather than whipping it out and cashing in on the job and firewood.

In my opinion its got very good bat roost potential, non currently but potential.

Right my armors up, ive raised the draw bridge and lowered the portcullis

You'll love this one Ian, on the Newcastle City Council TPO application forms it states 'use this form if you require any looping or topping to your trees'. And just to fuel the fire even more, the Newcastle City Council tree team are AAAC FFS

Not on really at all !

Came across Retrenchment pruning in a recent job spec and the goal was very similar to what you created in that oak. Helping prepare and balance the tree for old age by reducing the height and consolidating the growth into a smaller crown. Drop crotching, target pruning, reduction, retrenchment....too much terminology which all applies to varying degrees. Call it whatever you want so long as the objective of the work is clear.

Nice work there, that oak looks good. Be interesting to see updates after a decade :thumbup1:

Ian you did a top job imo... I don't think any body is disputing that at all mate.

I wasn't saying anyone was. I was just aware I didn't want it to start becoming a knock down. It normally starts when people put links up then it gets discussed over and over. I've got to return to an oak I did 3 years ago which was retrenchment pruned.

It normally starts when people put links up then it gets discussed over and over.

I believe the link was just to illustrate that the arb association definition of drop crotching is different to yours... and I think that was well worth pointing out. I dont think your methodology and justification are in question... just your terminology:001_smile: