the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

That was a before shot.

I heard the council demanded a grind afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The spike marks are on the back.

2 climbers, 2 days. Bit slow, but we wanted to get it right, and it's over too houses. Some help from the ground lads but we kept eying ourselves in on our breaks.

Thank you mate. Not often we get a large reduction like this.

Ok, I'm possibly going to put my toe over that line here.

It looks a lovely shape, we, as tree blokes can appreciate the skill and workmanship involved in a job like that.

BUT, why was it done?

From what I can see it's a big tree. A very big tree in that location I guess, but with all things considered what has that reduction achieved?

I mean, I'd love to know how the conversation went at quotation level between the client & arb geezer.

"We've got this tree that's become far too big for it's location, what can you do?"

"Oh, we can crown reduce it and cure your problem"

"Ah, that sounds a well worth £800, we'll go for that"

Did it work?

No.

Seems a money for old rope procedure that's very rarely done around here, I'd love to know why this procedure is more acceptable in some parts of the country and not others?

We don't know the full story Pete, and Joe's work is certainly top notch.

I totally agree though.

Far too many mature trees reduced these days just because we can, which we couldn't 40 years ago.

I called a woman an idiot this week because she wanted 'the top taken out of' a mature oak. For no reason.

I tried to explain things, but lost it in the end.

Poor tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I was given a spec by my company through the TO. I don't have full details as it wasn't involved in the quotation. The tree was touching the neighbours roof and overhanging the homeowners roof, and had shed dead limbs.

Given the choice between a reduction and fell and replacement I feel that this was by far the best course of action. Nobody wanted to lose the tree, but nobody wanted it any bigger either. For what it's worth I support the TO's descision.

Joe, sounds like you and crew did exactly what you should of, and to a very high standard. Credit to you for that.

I realise every case is different and that's why I raised it, to get to the bottom of the reasoning in these cases.

In this one, purely going on what info you put forward I would have suggested c/lift, and/or side reduct from the houses being interfered with, dead wood/crown clean and hey presto!

The reduction is pointless, (the very little you will of been aloud to take off will have made very little difference to end loading, even less to amount of light, leaves in the garden, etc, what ever other excuses the clients come up with), and is not in the best interests of the tree. Its something that I feel is a fashion statement more than anything, like keeping up with the Joneses. Or, "I've seen it done before"!

Possibly rambling now but just curious to how some counties find it necessary to carry out this practice, yet others manage quite fine without.