Kia ora from Auckland, New Zealand!

will.morris

Cool thanks mate :D. Will try a few now.

I want to go down to Taupo soon to do the 19km Tongariro alpine crossing walk to experience 'Mordor' from LOTR so that should be a good photo opportunity and I'll keep this thread alive :001_smile:

Boromir says "One Does Not Simply Walk into Mordor", and you dont have to walk, we went up the ski lift

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to explain why I put the bicycles in your NZ thread.

I built them from scrap recycled from the tip for a backpacker place in Nelson in exchange for lodging.

At the time I was trying to build up business, as a freelance climber so rent free living was handy.

The point being…. If there is one… that sometimes you have to be flexible and diversify a bit when trying to set up in another country.

Best of luck dude...you'll do fine:001_smile:

Boromir says "One Does Not Simply Walk into Mordor", and you dont have to walk, we went up the ski lift

Unfortunately the ski lift only goes up Ruapehu which isn't quite Mordor and even then it only goes half way up BUT the guided walk up to the crater lake on Ruapehu is definitely worth it, especially when there's snow on the ground as you can slide most of the way down. Just bear in mind this IS a mountain not a hill and it is alpine so take the right gear. Plenty have thought this is walk in the park and come a cropper.

Good luck Will, you worked with me and Andy at Pakenham a few years ago when you were very very new to treework. Glad to see you have perservered with treework and seem to have found a realy good job which will inable you to see the world;)

When we took down that big pine :thumbup:? That was literally THE first time I ever put on a harness :biggrin: I'd laugh now if I could go back and see the cross-cutting I did :lol: I can remember at the time thinking I'm rubbish at this lol my cuts that were supposed to meet were a good 6" apart :laugh1:

Or was this the job when we had to zipline over an outbuilding pretty much directly into that big fire :001_smile: Those were my first 2 tree jobs, both with Andy :001_cool: ...when I couldn't tie a bowline or marlin spike :001_rolleyes:

Good to hear from you buddy and thanks :thumbup:

Unfortunately the ski lift only goes up Ruapehu which isn't quite Mordor and even then it only goes half way up BUT the guided walk up to the crater lake on Ruapehu is definitely worth it, especially when there's snow on the ground as you can slide most of the way down. Just bear in mind this IS a mountain not a hill and it is alpine so take the right gear. Plenty have thought this is walk in the park and come a cropper.

Yup but that's a good thing, you can see mordor but without the danger of bumping into any orc's:laugh1::laugh1:

Well done for getting out there and doing it - a brave thing to do fresh out of college and no doubt you'll reap the rewards.

But yep some pics would be good - I've been out there a few times as the missus is from the South Island... if you get a chance have a look at the kauri trees and the kauri museum.

:thumbup:

Well done for getting out there and doing it - a brave thing to do fresh out of college and no doubt you'll reap the rewards.

But yep some pics would be good - I've been out there a few times as the missus is from the South Island... if you get a chance have a look at the kauri trees and the kauri museum.

:thumbup:

I was impressed by the Kauri museum, its full of trees saws history and machines that run on diesel or steam.:thumbup1:

Cool I'll have to check that out :thumbup:

Went for a rec climb with a mate from work up at One Tree Hill Domain (Cornwall Park) yesterday. Its like an arborists playground, big gums, massive spread oaks :thumbup1: Camera batteries died early on so I only got a few pics unfortunately but will defo be going back as quite a few of the guys from work go there regularly. Its also one of the contract parks so may have to work on them at some point :001_smile:

Checked out the Auckland Botanic Gardens on saturday so I'll put those pics up as well :thumbup1:

P1000126.jpg.cb128fa1d414b6e875cfefaf3d35aa8c.jpg

P1000120.jpg.b9a80ad933e616a17220bbc9ece4373c.jpg

P1000117.jpg.167fd574db53271fb7ad076f3d823f59.jpg

cp.jpg.686c4c770c4f3b6d065d8aeedcc9850e.jpg

cp2.jpg.633c1f5357eeb31171ed5224f394b8be.jpg