Dangerous log splitters

AardvarkTreeServices

There is always ways to use improperly. A skip truck is hydraulically a two handed operation using a dead man type power lever which has to be held and which other function you require with the other hand.

I have used my knee on the power lever, one hand on the function needed, and the other hand to operate easysheet system. Only saves a minute maybe but when the tacho is ticking and/or its raining. Time is precious.

As for logsplitters they all have potential to be dangerous. Wood flips suddenly or pings in a random direction. Other things happen in the vicinity. Heart attacks etc.

But if we are going to burn wood it needs reducing in size in various ways. Just do it in the safest way. Unfortunately. Despite best of intentions, some theoretical people tend to hamper beyond the necessary. And they go for those jobs that hinder the rest of us.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh here we go. Fact log splitters are dangerous. Chainsaws are dangerous, processors are dangerous, tractors are dangerous, cars are dangerous. That's why there's training and rick assessments. Oh and that very rare thing called common sense.........

It's a joke. Oh I forgot you don't get those....

Spot on mate, we must be the same age to think like this, when i started using chainsaws as a job: no ppe what so ever not even ear muffs and i cant remember one bad accident.

Au contraire my friend.

Personal Observations down through the years have revealed the ingunity of the user combined with cable ties, insulating tape, an odd disconnected wire, or indeed in the case of the JD 355 ride on mower, simply timing the flick of the switch just right. Bungee straps also have their uses!

Will circumvent most safety interlocks, especially if such interlocks make an otherwise productive machine a proper bollox to use.

cheers

marcus

Au contraire my friend.

Personal Observations down through the years have revealed the ingunity of the user combined with cable ties, insulating tape, an odd disconnected wire, or indeed in the case of the JD 355 ride on mower, simply timing the flick of the switch just right. Bungee straps also have their uses!

Will circumvent most safety interlocks, especially if such interlocks make an otherwise productive machine a proper bollox to use.

cheers

marcus

Damn I've been found out. You read my signature?

It'll be dangerous to get out of bed without fully waking up for 13 minutes and 46 seconds soon. No such thing as dangerous machinery, just dangerous operators imo. I fecked all the safety bollox off my new splitter the week I got it. Health and Safety; :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes: All safety, but no thought of the effect on health due to the stress of dealing with safety bullshit. :thumbdown: Winds me right up. Risk assessments for boiling kettles - What's the point in living!

Au contraire my friend.

cheers

marcus

Sorry, I was meaning more from a buying new and putting it to work in a situation where employees are to use it.

Getting round interlocks etc is a doddle though, yes :001_smile: