Imported kiln dried logs - does anyone actualy buy them?

ash_smith123

If the papers are to be believed, the UK was down to its last 8 hours of gas this year and London had less than 3 days food stocks when the roads were blocked with snow. I wonder how the theoretical values of urbanisation will hold up when we have 25m cold and hungry people demanding to know why it all went wrong.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errr..i believe it is, Steve. As i understand, burning wood can be considered co2 neutral, due to the offset of co2 due to the trees growth. Is there some secret you are not revealing here, Steve ?

Yes the secret is you are burning wood and creating co2 for absolutley no reason. The wood can be dried by the sun for no cost to your pocket or planet. The wood may have been co2 neutral but you wasted it something nobody has grasped with grants for burn as much as you can and open the windows to let the heat out. But then thats what happens when lunatics are running the asylum.

If the trees in my wood take 70 years to mature and I cut down 1/70 each year for firewood, then that is renewable and co2 neutral. Deforesting third world countries is not renewable and therefore isn't carbon neutral. Once burnt the CO2 is released and not captured by newly growing forest. Transporting that unsustainable wood halfway around the world by filthy container ship burning dirty fuel oil and then 100's of miles by lorry only compounds the original problem. Buy locally!

i got some kiln dried logs earlier this year to fill out my last orders of the winter

the kiln dried was 15%mc on the outside & 35%mc on the inside it bunt ok but did not throw out much heat

i`m just processing a larger volume of timber this year (locally sourced) & air drying as i always have so i dont run out again next year!!

i was not impressed with the quality of the bought in kiln dried logs so i will not be buying them in again!!!

if i run out this year i will just have to think of another way round the problem!!!

the sooner we copy sweden and the north europe countries the better, use every last piece, the trees cut young for firewood, the brash chipped for biomass and community boilers the stump out and chipped then coming through immediately and replanting young plants.

we still are not getting small woodlands back into production too much consultation and not enough action. - again i could go on about so called grant funding and improvements - but dont get me ranting on about that!

firewood will never compete prices wise with such as coal, but surely if we encourage the burning of softwood where some would say " oh we only sell premium hardwood " tosh - they are not proper firewood merchants - all wood is good!

if they only sell harwood - and customers get used to this we are on a downward spiral.

we need quick growing commerical production and reeducate so called firewood merchants , stove installers etc who have jumped on the bandwagon of seeing a growing industry.

just my opinion

prepare to be shot down in flames

joy

oh by the way - air dried every time

kiln dried - no no no - it forces the water out the logs and if not correctly stored by the customer can then soak up moisture from the atmosphere like a sponge

HI JOY your right there mate air dry is best i no a pub nr me gets kiln dry beech logs there a joke thanks jon :thumbup:

the sooner we copy sweden and the north europe countries the better, use every last piece, the trees cut young for firewood, the brash chipped for biomass and community boilers the stump out and chipped then coming through immediately and replanting young plants.

we still are not getting small woodlands back into production too much consultation and not enough action. - again i could go on about so called grant funding and improvements - but dont get me ranting on about that!

firewood will never compete prices wise with such as coal, but surely if we encourage the burning of softwood where some would say " oh we only sell premium hardwood " tosh - they are not proper firewood merchants - all wood is good!

if they only sell harwood - and customers get used to this we are on a downward spiral.

we need quick growing commerical production and reeducate so called firewood merchants , stove installers etc who have jumped on the bandwagon of seeing a growing industry.

just my opinion

prepare to be shot down in flames

joy

As a stove retailer who sells a bit of firewood I agree. Its an education thing.

I was processing timber today and I have taken a lad under my wing a bit who is giving me a hand in exchange for some training. He was arguing that kiln dried can be to dry, it goes up the chimney to fast. I am explaining that the energy within the log is first used to evaporate the remaining moisture and the rest of the energy is then converted into heat. So the drier the log the more heat you get. Usually I get the point through to potential stove owners no problem but this lad was having none of it. As sellers of fuel we need to support the case for wood disappearing fast as we are the suppliers !!.

Soft burns well, very well, customers like it, especially customers with no fire experience as it allows then to build a nice fire easily.

Downside on soft for me is the cost of cord when compared to hard. Just not enough difference to make processing it really viable. Processed price is very similar yet the market price is £20 a cube different, thats £20 less profit.

A