Amazing what a Botex can do.....

Tom D

Just to be clear, there is no roofmount crane out there that would lift that log!

It was put onto the trailer by a 14ton excavator, and that couldn't lift it either! we lifted one end, reversed the trailer up to it and then lifted the other end and wriggled it on.

To give you a sense of scale the load bed on that trailer is 14' by 6'4".

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surprising john , i would have thought that both the 560 and 570 are fairly big players in the forestry world . lets be honest that is where the originate from isnt it ??

Nope not at all. Wilsons might plug that tale but not so. Nokka, Farmi (not farma), Kesla, Loglift, Patu etc far more production forestry derived. I think big hardwoods might have eased botex into the game but they are not regarded whatsover in s/wood extraction / forwarding.

I love kesla cranes but not sure if they still have a single slew ram??

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Nope not at all. Wilsons might plug that tale but not so. Farmi (not farma), kesla, loglift, patu etc far more production forestry derived. I think big hardwoods might have eased botex into the game but they are not regarded whatsover in s/wood extraction / forwarding.

are botex a copy of the old james jones timber crane they used to mount on the red countys ,many yrs ago ,:001_smile:

are botex a copy of the old james jones timber crane they used to mount on the red countys ,many yrs ago ,:001_smile:

Hard to say, the original Botex cranes were drawn up by Gordon Hoy, in Exeter, he used to say he could draught a plan from a photograph. The thing was though they worked and had good lift they never quite hackled right, the relationship between the actions of the rams never flowed quite as well as the cranab. The early spool blocks he used were similarly awkward, spring pressures too high and the high pressure carry over didn't seem right.

The production run was probably too low to benefit from experience that the scandinavian kit had evolved through. This was back in 87 so things must have moved on a lot since then.

Oh and assuming it's a 560/570 TL crane on a euro trailer, the stabiliser legs are crap too :lol:

I've given up on them, unless its big or maybe the first few grab fulls. I just use the steering draw bar to push it to the other side to loading. oh the rams for them are about 350 quid each:blushing:

As for Botex cranes if you want lifting power get a botex no doubt about it. All the proper forestry cranes are around 1.5t maybe 2.2 on the biggest ones. Botex is 2.8t close in. Being mainly a hardwood person i find botex much better than the other offerings. If i did pure production softwood i'd get a kronos though.

The old botex only a 5m crane on a 10 tonne trailer with 2 bays of 9' Oak and a new botex 7m crane on 10 tonne trailer with 2 bays of 8'

597661dcb8a1f_DSC_0843(2).jpg.6c3e5df63347fc3abe9c838c17820d0d.jpg

DSC_0976.jpg.c9693c38fb67eb851cdbf4077b6b18ed.jpg