Fencing by single operator

hgvman

Hi all

Over this winter I need to do a lot of fencing on the the farm. As I have no friends I have to do the fencing myself. I have the use of a tractor with a post thumper or auger but both of these need two people to operate but I like to work single handed and crack on. I also have a U1000 and a 1.5 ton mini digger, does anybody use a post thumper or auger on their mini digger? I have had a suggestion that a pecker on the digger will make a deep enough hole to then push posts in.Fencing will just be posts for electric and a bit of post and rail and the ground is a very hard clay at the moment. What do people use, any suggestion on equipment to buy, and working practice.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do lot of stock fencing with a mini digger 1.6ton, its much quicker at knocking stakes in then a tractor but tractor much better a knocking strainers in. Iv done 3.5km fencing singlehanded this summer with my mini and postknocker and most runs couldn't have been done with a tractor as it was either too wet or you had to reach in amogst bolders and trees etc. track along parrellel to the fence and slew at 90degrees to the trackbase knoccking the stakes in as you go, use the leveling blade to level the machine one way and the bucket curl to get the post straight, it helps to knock the strainers in first then string a wire quite high (2ft) above ground then walk along and place all your posts in making sure that when they touch the wire they are vertical then its just a matter of sitting in a the machine dropping the postknocker over the posts and you know then that when they are touching the wire they are going in straight- no need to get out the cab for every post.

Tractor ones are also good (particularly modern knockers) but to be efficient you really need someone else to work the machine otherwise it means getting in and out the cab for every post which is a bit time consuming.

I also have a hydraulic auger on the mini, if i know its hard ground I pilot drill all the strainer holes first before knocking them in, i find this works well as at least you know all the strainers will drive full depth and they don't move.

I have modified by postknocker so that when i lift in on to a stake all the weight is taken off the machine so that it steadys the boom when knocking also means i can press down on the post with the weight of the machine.

Im like you i much prefer fencing on my own as I can just get on with it, whereas when someone else is there due to the linnear nature of fencing there can be a lot of standing around. Does help having someone else there tho when dealing with hi-tensile netting- but i always manage nevertheless.

Hope this helps!

597661d3ba8d4_DSCF54871.jpg.f3d7406a10059152b4cbddc9eeb5ed53.jpg

597661d3b657c_DSCF54811.jpg.9ccbdf9fdc769a341f687cc508ed402e.jpg

Are you talking about a little parmiter post knocker or a more up-to-date contractors model? I work alone with my tractor/knocker and havent had a problem yet. My knocker has a rock spike to deal with hard ground etc. I ve not come accross a situation yet where I have needed an auger

The advantage (to me!) of a tractor and post thumper over a mini digger/thumper is that the feet make a contact point with the ground, the mini digger arm moves and takes such control when just tweaking posts upright etc that you can often end up with a wobbly post in a huge hole!!

Is there is a 'right' way to do fencing though?!!

your right everyone has there way, the tractor model i use is a wrag commander with a rockspike but for most jobs i use my mini. Its hard to describe but iv modified my postknockers so that the mini digger arm is totally stable so you can make adjustments to the mm. i find it far quicker then the tractor one. on big jobs tho where there are more then say 50 strainers i use the tractor as it is much quicker due to hammer weight mor ethen anything then folllow with the mini knocking all the stakes in.

Hi, Im in the same situation as you, with the exception that ive just done it! About 6 months ago i bought a p10 post knocker from protech Protech Machinery | Post drivers

To add to my Kanga 620d. I had hoped that it would enable quicker fencing but more importantly better fencing. Although it works well, it is a process of constant re adjustment (making sure stakes are upright) knocker is upright. I certainly think it would be better off of a mini digger than the mini skidsteer (more stable). Going to look at a tracked knocker (well making one).

Tractor ones are great, if the terrain is pretty good (no low trees) and you don't mind getting in and out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeno6LIvk8&feature=context-cha]James White Fencing and Gates Ltd post driver video - YouTube[/ame]

Hi all

Over this winter I need to do a lot of fencing on the the farm. As I have no friends I have to do the fencing myself. I have the use of a tractor with a post thumper or auger but both of these need two people to operate but I like to work single handed and crack on. I also have a U1000 and a 1.5 ton mini digger, does anybody use a post thumper or auger on their mini digger? I have had a suggestion that a pecker on the digger will make a deep enough hole to then push posts in.Fencing will just be posts for electric and a bit of post and rail and the ground is a very hard clay at the moment. What do people use, any suggestion on equipment to buy, and working practice.

Sorry to hear you have no friends . Most people are friendly on here !