Are logs worth doing anymore ?

gensetsteve

are they worth doing ?? yes they are imo,disaplin yr self /if u have an early finish ,do the time on yr logs ,youv already been paid for the day from tree work ,dont pay staff to do them ,i dont any more ,its me ,my self & i,its works out @ £20 a bag to supply,cut & bag it ,most of mine is trade so hey collect ,:thumbup1:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do very well thank you very much :biggrin:well worth the effort :001_rolleyes:

me,,too,,,,,we utilise our spare man hours after tree work to split and bag logs that have come in from arb work, not only does it keeps the yard tidy, its money in the bag for next yr, got 60m3 ready for 2013-14 already, I sell softwood(dry) off cuts from the mizer to people you think £80 for a m3 is too much, they buy twice as much ,,but dont see it that way,,makes me chuckle:001_tt2:

There is no no doubt that there is a few quid to be made if the raw material is 'free' and you have 'free' labour.

Its when you have to pay £50/ton for a year or two before you can actually sell it for firewood, and either work alone or pay wages to help process it, that things get very tight.

Not trying to be negative or anything, just my opinion, from my own experience in recent times!

There is no no doubt that there is a few quid to be made if the raw material is 'free' and you have 'free' labour.

Its when you have to pay £50/ton for a year or two before you can actually sell it for firewood, and either work alone or pay wages to help process it, that things get very tight.

Not trying to be negative or anything, just my opinion, from my own experience in recent times!

michael, totally agree with your view,,,theres no way i can afford to buy in at £50 a ton, usually green, and then sell at £80 per m3,,,,thats why I dont!, but you`ll find the people who do buy in at that price have to sell it at more, otherwise it isnt worth doing, so there higher price per :thumbup:m3 is justified,,,,

my labour isnt free as such, but usually covered by arb work earlier in the day,,,,,,I run out every yr,,,but cant see me buying in as too busy with arb work anyway,,,if I sell everything from our waste, then i`m a happy man!

Shocking I haven't been on for months and its still the same old discussion :laugh1: I'll say what I've said before, when it was perks of the job, i.e what ever came out from hedge laying and scrub clearing or any windblown when clearing fence lines, when your paying £60 a ton to buy it in then it your walking a fine line for profit, the only load I've bought in this year was off a tree surgeon who needed it off site to avoid penalties on the job so I only payed the transport which meant it worked out at £30 a ton, as I've got a log burner at home I'm not to worried if its not flying out the yard, I just supply a few regulars to cover the costs of cutting my own and gives something to do on a quiet day :thumbup1:

Well it confirms what I already knew really. 5 years ago I was paying £24 a tonne for beech delivered in you could justify the cost because it was easy to put through a processor. But the cost has doubled and so has red diesel. The cost of a load of logs has not doubled especially after last winter. Thanks for every ones views.

michael, totally agree with your view,,,theres no way i can afford to buy in at £50 a ton, usually green, and then sell at £80 per m3,,,,thats why I dont!, but you`ll find the people who do buy in at that price have to sell it at more, otherwise it isnt worth doing, so there higher price per :thumbup:m3 is justified,,,,

my labour isnt free as such, but usually covered by arb work earlier in the day,,,,,,I run out every yr,,,but cant see me buying in as too busy with arb work anyway,,,if I sell everything from our waste, then i`m a happy man!

but one of my artic loads of 4 bays of 2.4m lengths will give you around 55m3... which after paying £1300 for said load leaves £56 m3... i could split 10 loads on sat morn through processor and take same 10 loads out in afternoon... £560 for days work less £60 in fuel isnt to be sniffed at...

i took 16 load out sat morning... wood was all split after a days tree work so labour free....

but one of my artic loads of 4 bays of 2.4m lengths will give you around 55m3... which after paying £1300 for said load leaves £56 m3... i could split 10 loads on sat morn through processor and take same 10 loads out in afternoon... £560 for days work less £60 in fuel isnt to be sniffed at...

i took 16 load out sat morning... wood was all split after a days tree work so labour free....

That looks good but what wood is it and how dry. On an arctic for £1300 we normally get 24 tonnes which turns into 36 cu metres. I think you must have a better processor and more energy than me. Two of us take 6 hours on a satuday to get 20 metres through our machine and we are too knackered to deliver anything. :biggrin:

That looks good but what wood is it and how dry. On an arctic for £1300 we normally get 24 tonnes which turns into 36 cu metres. I think you must have a better processor and more energy than me. Two of us take 6 hours on a satuday to get 20 metres through our machine and we are too knackered to deliver anything. :biggrin:

weight is irrelevant really as long as lorry is full.. which it is with 2.4m lenghts and 4 bays... 3 bays of 3.4m and you get even more on load obviously green beech or oak and trailer wont be full.. my loads are either birch ash oak thats been cut while or ash hornbeam sycamore oak fresh felled...

all i'm going by is 4 or 5 customers who process into 0.8m bags have said there getting roughly 55m3 from load... and when i buy cord by m3 i'm told i have 25m3 on the trailer.. so going by what i've read on here on numerous occassions that should at least double when split..

and my loads are 1.3m3 which one of my lads will do 10 in a morning or an afternoon with a haki plike 1x37.. no log deck.. but loading with a mini digger and grab onto a stack of pallets.. 5 lengths at time..