15w/40 and all that mumbo jumbo

likeitorlumpit

Yes TCD, I do agree that a synthetic multigrade is probably better, but its alright for you, who knows a lot about oils to deveate from the the advised path, and indeed for me to, as I know a little about oils.

But anyone who has not benefited from an education in oils would be better to stick to the recomendations, surely?

I advise my customers in accordance with the manufacurers for obvious professional reasons. Maybe I should not have butted in to this thread.:001_smile:

:thumbup1: No quite agree; needs to be kept to a engineeringly sound but basic level. Tho between SAE30 and a 10W30 there's really naff all difference to consider especially in an atmo, low bmep horti engine.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, a PSA XUD9A (peugeot diesel 1.9) IDI engine has been running non-stop (!) since 1998 in my old research lab at Plymouth Uni on RL 15W40 with UOA (used oil analysis) taken at determined intervals. Non stop because oil consumption has been negligible, and 1500 - 3000 rpm with auto-dyno load changes have meant fairly constant conditions. It's equivilent to millions of miles!!!

This is the older engine similar to the 2.3 in 504 trucks rather than the 1.9 in my 03 plate 206 which I think is direct injection?

This 206 has just clocked 225k miles and has negligible oil consumption, still gives 65mpg on my commute. Note this mileage is 7500 hours at 30mph and there are 8766hrs in a year on average.

I still have a 2.3 idi engine from my last 504, only 100 miles since a full rebuild but the fitter forgot to retorque the head and the gasket went, it was quicker to put a spare engine in than wait for a gasket set, then daughter's boyfriend wrecked the gearbox so I scrapped it. I still consider them to be the best pick up for forestry work.

Your post makes me think it would be worth using in a bit of plant.

• 4 years later...

for past 20 odd years i have used the following

Anything Diesel 15w40 Castrol Magnetec and anything Petrol 5w30 again Castrol Magnetec there is cheaper oils as we all know but in the 20 odd years never had any oil related probs and all machines Vans And Chippers have run great .

Maybe some of this is down to Good Maintenance and other service requirements such as grease etc and keeping all linkages to correct spec etc

also i have for past 20 odd years used a product Called SLICK 50 again in all Petrol and Diesel as a Friction Reducer etc always had good results and long lasting Machines using the above BUT above all it gives me peace of mind doing so and that is priceless

i maybe just LUCKY but id rather be LUCKY with Peace of mind than Unlucky with NO Peace of mind LOL

Each to their own good LUCK to one an all

A question for tcd if I may. It's not for me you understand it's a friend :lol::001_rolleyes: an 02 plate Toyota petrol rav 4 1800cc. Has the oil burning problem and uses 1 litre every 500 miles. Come mot if every thing is hot off the road and the cat is still working it passes emission test easily. Is there an oil that would help it pass I was thinking a low sap diesel oil for Diesel engines fitted with PDF even if was drained shortly after as I don't think it's good for drive trains in older motors

A question for tcd if I may. It's not for me you understand it's a friend :lol::001_rolleyes: an 02 plate Toyota petrol rav 4 1800cc. Has the oil burning problem and uses 1 litre every 500 miles. Come mot if every thing is hot off the road and the cat is still working it passes emission test easily. Is there an oil that would help it pass I was thinking a low sap diesel oil for Diesel engines fitted with PDF even if was drained shortly after as I don't think it's good for drive trains in older motors

Duckhams green snot (a 20w50 IIRC and not made any more) was the business for petrol engines that consumed oil. I had a Fiesta that drank normal multigrades and showed a bit of smoke, but was very well behaved on Duckhams green. It needs someone with half a brain and a bit of sympathy when it comes to cold starts and warm ups, it was a bit like having a sump full of golden syrup.

Halfords do an equivalent- Halfords Classic Oil 20W50 5L

I assume the miles are on the high side? That's very high consumption. Clouds of blue smoke?

Current Multigrade in the crankcase?

Low saps avoid poisoning the after treatment but does the engine no favours at all; valvetrain durability the main casualty.