Need a chassis

Matthew Arnold

My chassis looked way worse and recently welded it all up/waxoyled and sprayed old engine oil inside, now saving for a galv tho:001_smile: just looks like a few hours welding there!?

According to the gent who MOT'd it. The chassis flexed where the holes were when the suspension was attaching. We are getting a galv chassis from Marsland for about £1700 (inc VAT and P +P) delivered to the garage.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My chassis looked way worse and recently welded it all up/waxoyled and sprayed old engine oil inside, now saving for a galv tho:001_smile: just looks like a few hours welding there!?

According to the gent who MOT'd it. The chassis flexed where the holes were when the suspension was attaching. We are getting a galv chassis from Marsland for about £1700 (inc VAT and P +P) delivered to the garage.

Buy a 30 year old "G" Wagen chassis, it will still be perfectly sound, though the mild steel bodywork will probably have given up the ghost.

NOT galv, just properly painted in the factory:lol:

I kid you not.

So Birmabright bodywork on a "G" Wagen chassis should be good.

PS

I thought the heating involved with galvanising robbed some of the strength from the steel?

PPS

I did wonder:confused1: how had it got through the previous MOT's:confused1:

With holes like that, why did you bother taking to the garage?

Because the holes didn't appear until they were hit with a metal working hammer. If we ad noticed the holes before hand we would have had it patched. But where the rust is, is along from the previous patching session. Its rusted from the inside out.

So all that rust and rot appeared in the last year only and a year ago the chassis was OK?

Been driving in seawater?

Yup. But like i said it has rotted from the inside out so it would have looked and sounded OK on the last bout of patching. Nope but been driving around through pig muck and through dairys with copious amounts of cow slop. We wash it the day after but obviously some of it gets inside and it slowly rusts. Its done well though most land rover chassis dont last much more than 12 years. But ours is 16.

So all that rust and rot appeared in the last year only and a year ago the chassis was OK?

Been driving in seawater?

HI TREE the chassis rust away from the inside so you would not see it so to say you would run around in the land rover with hole is just mad mate matt would not of none what a mad thing to say :thumbdown:MATT hope you get fixed up soon mate jon :thumbup:

HI TREE the chassis rust away from the inside so you would not see it so to say you would run around in the land rover with hole is just mad mate matt would not of none what a mad thing to say :thumbdown:MATT hope you get fixed up soon mate jon :thumbup:

Cheers Jon. Still waiting for a phonecall from the garage to say the chassis will be with them on a certain day.