Mirror mirror on the wall.... who makes the best chainsaw file of them all?

Rob D

Some info on who makes what

To get real facts about how and where files are made is pretty much impossible.... You get no replies from e-mailing the big companies direct.

From what I gather about chainsaw files (which is not based on fact more what I’ve heard). The Swiss Vallorbe factory have always made Oregon files. And they now make Stihl files – BUT – I noticed that some of the Stihl files I had were marked with black ink at the end of the file and some were engraved near the tang end..... So Stihl have their files made in different places. I suspect the ones with the black writing on the end are made by Pferd (I have some Pferd files and they have black writing on the end) and the engraved ones are Vallorbe – have e-mailed the factories a few times to get real facts but no replies to date....

Pferd make the Stihl EZ file so it makes sense they prob make some of the Stihl files as well.

I did get some Pferd files in about 18 months ago – but they cost a ruddy fortune compared to other brands as you have to go through a distributer.... and as the distributer does not carry stock or sell that many it’s a painful process to order them.

It’s a shame as Pferd seem to manufacture a wide range of chainsaw files and guides... see pages 24 onwards here http://www.pferd.com/images/WZH_21_201_72dpi_en.pdf but they will not allow someone to just import the chainsaw filing equipment – you have to go through someone who is a main Pferd distributer....

And even though the files may come from the same factory they can be made to different grades of quality depending on how much they are being paid - so just because they come out of the same factory does not make them equal!

597661f05c43e_CSBpics002.jpg.de05f92dadd6016b872b8a2e8a456d21.jpg

597661f056930_CSBpics001.JPG.12a6538382e57440f7f26293948d80b2.JPG

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great job Rob and thankyou for your hard work. It was a really good opportunity to find out what file suits - it was apparent that some liked the fierceness of the save edge. It was crap on the .325 though. Probably good to have in the kit if you hit a nail, or two (like the other day!) with one of the bigger saws.

:thumbup:

Thanks for doing that Rob, interesting results.....I would have taken part, I didn't realise it's something I could have done even with my limited use... never mind... next time!

I normally use Stihl files and I'm always irritated by how they clog up with swarf.

Looks like the end of the road for them in my toolbox then..... I reckon I'll give the Vallorbe ones a try when I [eventually] run out of Stihl 4.8's....

Very interesting, the Save Edge are damn good files - like the good old English ones I bought a job lot of unlike those cheap old Chinky ones.

You can always tell a good file by the way it bites in to hard metal and stays that way.

Very good Rob, looks like you will get some orders when you get stock.

I had always heard Vallorb are the best but there you go:blushing:

I do have the Save Edge files in now but won't be on my website until mid next week :blushing: so hang in there! As re vamping all those areas of the website.

I liked the Save Edge the best - as you say there's something a bit raw about them - they give the most chew off the tooth! The first few strokes on the tooth it can be 'catchy' but then it seems to find it's place and rapidly removes metal.

And in the endurance test (thanks Morten:thumbup:) it came out tops as well.

But I think if you like a smoother file with less bite the Vallorbe/Oregon ones are the way to go.

I'll see about doing some more tests soon! :001_smile:

Im glad to hear you have the save edge coming in. i gave mine a "little:blushing:" tap tap to free it and make it easier to remove from the handle and snapped it:cursing:

I do have my selection of vallorbes to get through yet but will definitely need some save edge files. Especially for the badly scuffed chains.

I got the 7/32 files for the test so it would be interesting to know how each different file size varies. I could see how a save edge on a 5/32 might be a tad too vicious. Might be great though??

It all depends on who's doing the sharpening. I have had many employees who don't have the same patience or 'satisfaction' in getting a chain spot on and then getting the benefits when using straight after a good fettle.

I think this was a good test and if others can be arsed, a little extra input could get it just right. Save edge for badly scuffed chains, or vallorbe/oregon for pruning chains for a bit of a tickle up. Stihl was probably only good for one sharpen of a small chain just to make it a bit shiny!!:001_rolleyes: (Or is that a bit harsh)