Mirror mirror on the wall.... who makes the best chainsaw file of them all?

Rob D

I am truly saddened and surprised by the fact that 6 arbtalk members have chosen to exploit this initiative to get three free files with free shipping,

I'm not taking it personally morten as really I'm sure it's just down to time pressures and work more than anything else.

:001_smile:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't mention it before but that packing - man that was one big parcel for four tiddy files - the wife got quite excited, thought it was a pressie for her:blushing::lol:

Cmon lads, get those results in, I am a busy man and filed a couple of chains to get my results back what seems weeks ago!!

Didn't mention it before but that packing - man that was one big parcel for four tiddy files - the wife got quite excited, thought it was a pressie for her:blushing::lol:

Me too couldnt thin k what Id ordered:confused1:

Me too couldnt thin k what Id ordered:confused1:

Yep same here!

I am starting to wonder if we should set off (yep probably in single file), roam the country in some sort of press gang to sit them down and make them sharpen their bloody saws!!!

I dont reckon Rob will get many more results in to be honest. Maybe he could PM the overall results to those that have returned theirs as a reward for their loyalty and damn good form!!!! :biggrin:

In return we promise not to publicly reveal ourselves

Ok - we have 13 results out of 18 which is not all that bad...

I've checked over them and they should be accurate but knowing me :001_rolleyes:

File test results

Just thought a simple points system would work the best so:

Best = 4 points

Pretty good = 3 points

Not bad = 2 points

Last = 1 point

The files on test were Save Edge – a new brand from the States (although does say made in Portugal on the files!), Vallorbe, Oregon, Stihl.

1st place – Save Edge with 38.5 points. Some people did not like it but this file is the most aggressive and removes the most material per stroke (see endurance test).

2nd Place tied – Vallorbe and Oregon with 32 points - smooth filing and consistent results

4th Place – Stihl with 27.5 points -a little disappointing from the market leaders although scored first by a couple of testers.

So which file was which?

Unmarked was – Save Edge files info found here and I'll be selling these soon as they did well. I like their raw aggressive material removal and they keep their edge Save Edge | Home of the sharpest files in the business.

Shiny tang was – Vallorbe – found here. A major supplier of files and they have always made Oregon files http://www.vallorbe.com/Standard.php?p=530&m=4&l=3#

Shiny end was – Oregon (made by Vallorbe) – found here OREGON brand Saw Chain Round Files for sharpening chainsaw chain

Black end was – Stihl – Files are made by Pferd and Vallorbe?? Neither/both? See further posts for more info on Stihl files.

Breakdown of results and testers comments

Best – Save Edge – 4 points

Pretty good – Vallorbe – 3 points

Ok – Stihl – 2 points

Last – Oregon – 1 point

Best – Save Edge, a clear No1 – 4 points - nice grippy file, takes off loads of metal

Pretty good - Stihl – 3 points - not as good as above

OK – Vallorbe – 2 points

Last – Oregon – 1 point

Gotta say that the last two were pretty much the same and suspect they are from the same factory

It was a tough choice for top place mate.

Best – Oregon – 4 points - removed the most metal on each stroke

Pretty good – Vallorbe - 3 points - slightly less aggressive than the above but more consistent over time

Ok – Save Edge – 2 points - similar to shiny tang but began to skid a bit after several cutters

Last - Stihl – 1 point - took the least off on each stroke and tended to skid more than the others

Best – Oregon – 4 points - really good - smooth and efficient from the first strokey! easy fave straight off

Pretty Good – Stihl – 3 points - started off a bit chattery but settled well

Ok – Vallorbe – 2 points - just slow

Last – Save Edge – 1 point - chattery as hell - might settle down eventually - hated it

1st place – Oregon – 4 points - good smooth action and most polished/ smoothest result.

2nd place, Stihl and Save Edge – 2.5 points each. Not as smooth as shiny end, and a courser finnish to the tooth. ( i could not tell these apart)

4th place – Vallorbe -1 point - Coarse finish and the filing action nowhere as good or smooth as the others.

A file is a file and testing was a bit daunting. I took no note of marks, bunched em on bench and tooth by tooth mixed and matched, all the while ranking them in order and verifying as I went double checking, trying a file again.

What do you actually want from a file? Coarse and quick action or smooth minimal swarf?

Left it a while did test again as above bunched on bench and got same results. So am happy I’ve done it independently.

I use a husky combi guage with rollers on and currently use windsor files from a job lot I got off ebay a few years back. I’m a thrifty file user and make them last. Clean them after a days use rubbing them with chalk stone and brushing off, etc

1st – Save Edge – 4 points

2nd – Oregon – 3 points

3rd – Vallorbe – 2 points

4th – Stihl – 1 point

Results for the file test are.

Best – Save Edge – 4 points

Second – Vallorbe – 3 points

Third – Oregon – 2 points

Worst – Stihl – 1 point

The second and third were pretty much the same. I put them this way round and one of the lads who works for me (chief sharpener) put them the other way but said the same. Best and last seemed very obvious.

Also, best was only best because it took a lot off efficiently but was possibly a bit too vicious.

Last was bad cos all the filings stuck to the file and made it 'slippy'

Best: Save Edge – (10/10) – 4 points

Pretty Good: Vallorbe (8/10) – 3 points

OK: Oregon (5/10) – 2 points

Last: Stihl (3/10) – 1 point

I've given the chainsaw files a try out. My results are:

1st (best) – Vallorbe – 4 points

2nd – Oregon – 3 points

3rd – Save Edge – 2 points

4th (last) – Stihl – 1 point

Best- Stihl - 4 points

Pretty good- Save Edge – 3 points

Ok- Vallorbe – 2 points

Last- Oregon – 1 point

Best – Save Edge – 4 points - very aggressive and quick.

Pretty good – Stihl – 3 points - Almost as good.

Ok – Vallorbe – 2 points

Last – Oregon – 1 point. The worst by some degree – it felt half blunt straight from the packet.

Best - Shiny tang – Vallorbe – 4 points

Pretty Good - Shiny tip – Oregon – 3 points

OK - No marking – Save Edge – 2 points

Last - Black tip – Stihl – 1 point

Notes:

1. The first three files were effective at removing material from the cutters; the fourth file did not seem to bite like the others.

2. The shiny tang file removed the material effectively, fast and smooth; leaving a sharp and precise cutter.

3. The Shiny tip and no marking file were very similar in effectiveness.

4. The Black tip file seemed to clog up faster than the rest; it seemed not able to rid itself of the filings.

5. I've only used each file a couple of times each, the real deciding factor for me, on which file I would buy is the longevity.

6. I tried the files on both Stihl and Oregon chains, All the files seem to cut more effectively on the Oregon chains than on the Stihl ones; I don't know whether this due to the condition of the chains or what they are made of, I would like to investigate further.

Just had a sharpen up using all 4 files, and my thinking is as follows, worst to best - marked tang, unmarked, shiny tip and black tip.

Best – Stihl – 4 points

Pretty Good – Oregon – 3 points

Ok – Save Edge – 2 points

Last – Vallorbe – 1 point

One member kindly did a test to see how the files kept their edge:

Endurance Test Set-up

Stihl RSC chain (virtually unused), mounted in a vice.

One tooth ground down to the marking on the top plate (6 mm material removed).

Each file was oiled (using WD-40) before filing, and the number of file strokes was counted.

Results

First tooth:

"Save Edge": 83 strokes.

"Vallorbe":102 strokes.

"Oregon": 125 strokes.

"Stihl": 145 strokes.

These results gives an objective reading of the efficiency of the files, and confirm the subjective findings, that I provided to you in my first test results.