Wallenstein log splitter

Marc Lewis

Hi there,

This is my first thread so hopefully I am doing it correctly. Please bear with me if not.

I am a tree surgeon and have been for about 18 years now. I carry out alot of utility work as well as domestic.

About 4 years ago I started selling firewood through the winter (about 1 to 2days a week) as I thought it would make more sense than giving it away. Also the value of firewood has increased making it more financially viable. Until now I have just been using a saw and axe which has suited me fine, but not good for larger diameter logs especially if the customer wants them 14" or so in length! So this week I hired a Wallenstein wx530 log splitter which I was very impressed with although I do not have anything to compare it to. It seemed relatively quick and was able to split most stuff. And at the end of the day I was no where near as knackered either!

So I am now considering buying either the Wallenstein wx530 or wx540. I do not really want to spend any more money than this as logs are not a large part of my business. I do not know a great deal about wood splitters and was hoping that somebody on this forum could tell me if this would be a decent machine for the money or if there are any other machines that I should consider. They cost between £2000 to £2400. Obviously the machine I buy must be relatively quick and build quality ok.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

P.s great forum guys, I have been reading threads since about November and there have been some really good informative discussions. Some of you really know your stuff.

P.p.s Come on England today v's South Africa

Sorry I can't comment on the Wallenstein as we use a Hycrack and it will split almost anything but it has also given me a few freights. The other problem I have with it is that on some logs you are left with stringy fibers holding the logs together that you end up tearing apart by hand.

I can't offer advice on the splitter make but from a business point of view I think that your splitter needs to be an independent machine that does not require a tractor to run.

Also try and choose a splitter with the option of fitting a 4 way knife for Ash and sycamore processing. You won't be able to use the 4 way head all the time but when you have 'the right' sized trunk it saves so much time!

I would certainly have a look at Riko*UK*::* Domestic

We have the 12 ton splitter with electric motor so no need for a tractor and its been a great bit of kit. In 3 years there has been nothing it wont split, it splits stuff my Palax processor doesnt like and is really well built. Only downside is it weighs a ton and is very hard to move around!

Anything we take back to yard for firewood is in length's or rounds that at least 2 people can lift. Thought about buying a splitter that I could run off the mog,in the end went completly opposite and bought a 7 ton electric woodline off Richard at fuelwood.Had it a good 10 years and not one problem,split just about everything but bear in mind we only probably do 30/40 loads to customers and our own 2 fires. I have found that a lot of customers now want to keep firewood off the jobs so we ring their wood up and then hire them our spliiter. It's easy to transport,does the job and any women that can turn on a washer or telly to watch jeremy Kyle can use it. They don't have to pay for the gym and they can take all their daily frustration out on the wood at weekends giving you time to sit back with a tinny whilst trying to understand the rules of womens beach volly ball (damn olympics have finished).lol

Thanks for replies. I don't think a hycrack is for me. I have used them in the past and I do like them, its just I do not have any thing to run it.

The Riko's look good and am gonna get myself down to Hants to have a look as it is not far from me.

I'll check out the woodlines this sarvo

Cheers