Burning on site

mikecotterill

We were once burning in a garden on a large housing estate, all was going well untill the sirens started and 4 firemen ran round the side of the house:) they gave me a number to call if I was gonna do it again.

in the golden olden days when we used to burn stubble, the brigade would turn up all the time, they got the same for a callout to a well controlled stubble fire as someones house. They did get grumpy if we set fire to the electric poles though!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were once burning in a garden on a large housing estate, all was going well untill the sirens started and 4 firemen ran round the side of the house:) they gave me a number to call if I was gonna do it again.

we shut down a mobile phone mast- they have smoke detectors and shut down if there is a fire for some reason. They restarted it and then we did it again. Vodaphone didn't like us after that.

It comes down to nuisance, clean air act, local byelaws and whether you are emitting dark smoke.

If you don't contravene any of the above then you may burn up to 10 tonnes of plant material produced on the site ( but not imported from another place) on an open fire, but not in a technical device, in a 24 hour period.

You will need an exemption to do it.

I have yet to hear of anyone being stopped from burning arb arisings from sites.

All good, except that you dont need an exemption to burn up to 10 tonnes per day, only more than that.

Exemption is obtained through Environment Agency, but has to be applied for by landowner rather than contractor.

I've had fires in towns, fires in the country, fires in woods and fires in gardens, and why not. To create a nuisance, it has to be a recorded incident, occurring more than once, theres an old boy up the road burns off leccy wire every day, plumes of black smoke everywhere, but EA can't act as they need some device ini place that measures the pollutants in the air. From the fires being reported to action, it's a couple of days, smokes long gone! how is a fire unprofessional anyway? A fire of clean green material is carbon neutral, you are not burning vast amount of diesel driving a fuel guzzling truck and chipper to site, then the chipper burns even more diesel and pollutes the atmosphere even more, then you have to burn more diesel to cart the chip away, then more to move the chip again, all very environmentally friendly. I will chip, I will have fires, I use either as a tool to get the job done, and you can't do a fry up on a chipper!

I did a job a couple years ago, felling 4 Large leylandiis in a back garden. The guy was a WW1 researcher, and his house had no rear access or side gate at all. No direct route through the house, was literally jam packed with grenades, rifles, helmets etc, all on shelves and round awkward corners - it was hard enough carrying a ladder through.

Everything had to be burnt on site, in a small garden. Super hot fire, white smoke, tall flames. Environment agency man came round because he'd had complaints, but he told us that we were well within our rights to burn, as long as we were only burning green waste. And to constitute a nuisance, it would have to be done regularly over a period of time. He admitted he was powerless to stop us burning, and understood fully why we had to, but he did go and speak to the neighbours and reassure them that we'd been "dealt with" and would be finished by the end of the day.

I'd like to burn more often, but most people seem to be convinced that it's in some way illegal, especially before 6pm.