The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know if anyone has ever revisited the forest rover idea? love the look of them but aswell as being rare lacked development as regards gearing etc jus wondered if anyones ever built likes of a 110 with tractor wheels etc?

IMG_0206_1024.jpg

There was a company called AG Rover in the eighties who built 90s on portal axles but they were not on such large tyres. I think there were only 15 vehicles built, one of which was recently on e bay.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had Auto Discos since about 1994, sold the first 200 series after 274,000, now run a TD5 and have got to 230,000 with it. Excellent bits of kit, mine pulls big trailers at max weight, takes a ton of wheat across a ploughed field if I want it to, mine does what it was designed for, gets cleaned when it rains etc. The wife now has her own Defender TD5 as well.

Other than routine maintenance the Disco TD5 has only needed to be recovered once when 2 fuel injectors seized up at about 180,000. Plenty of scrap and accident damaged ones to get cheap low mileage replacements, cant do that with a Japanese one so easily. The 200 was faultless.

So a fan yes but I do hear that the Disco 3 is a nightmare on parts costs and availability ( no aftermarket parts much so main dealer only at high cost) , mate who repairs them for a living recently had one brought in for a few odds and ends, parts alone were over £1500 !!. Suspension air compressor, rear air springs were the main culprits.

A

Edited by Alycidon

I have had Auto Discos since about 1994, sold the first 200 series after 274,000, now run a TD5 and have got to 230,000 with it. Excellent bits of kit, mine pulls big trailers at max weight, takes a ton of wheat across a ploughed field if I want it to, mine does what it was designed for, gets cleaned when it rains etc. The wife now has her own Defender TD5 as well.

Other than routine maintenance the Disco TD5 has only needed to be recovered once when 2 fuel injectors seized up at about 180,000. Plenty of scrap and accident damaged ones to get cheap low mileage replacements, cant do that with a Japanese one so easily. The 200 was faultless.

So a fan yes but I do hear that the Disco 3 is a nightmare on parts costs and availability ( no aftermarket parts much so main dealer only at high cost) , mate who repairs them for a living recently had one brought in for a few odds and ends, parts alone were over £1500 !!. Suspension air compressor, rear air springs were the main culprits.

A

HI mate your right there ref disco 3 ok when new in the first 3 years ours was at the dealers all the time not now we have a new audi a6 ref 200tdi they where very good i think butter then the 300 tdi but thats just me and where ok when chip up but now they cost to much to keep going owell get a 200tdi/300 all the best jon :thumbup:

We have two in the home 'fleet'.

First the boingy which was bought for Mrs Marlin to tow the dobbins about (in theory) but I nick it most of the time for shooting duties and getting muddy. Plus I prefer driving it to the family Honda. 2007 TD5 90 but now subject to a de-CAT/EGR/center box and a regular service. Just waiting for the moment when I can scrabble the cash together for a re-map :thumbup:

62064_436187458926_657813926_5298792_6506995_n.jpg

Old pic as it now has windows in the rear and a few other bits.

Second is my side project 1966 109. Ex military FFR but I bought it with the intention of a mild tidy up and using it to haul bales of hay and logs about. The reality is it has had a complete ground up rebuild with a galv chassis/bulkhead and rad panel then a 200tdi went in and....you all know how these things always go? :thumbup:

P1010362.JPG

More info on the 109 rebuild on my signature link.