The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

I did think that but the temp gauge didn't go any higher than normal. Stayed at half way. Like it always does.

I thought it was the trailer at first.

Will find out again tomoz. Pulling a heavier load. Twin axle trailer with big rib on it. Plus engines and all bits.

The temp gauge is nothing to go by. The cooling system will keep the block at a steady temp but the exhaust manifold and downpipe will be begging for mercy. Any road detritus that survived in the normally cooler areas gets burned off, either way if it smelled of rubber it isn't the clutch, friction linings have a very distinctive smell.

Just thinking i've never showed my landy so here goes. Before refurb, during and after.

I did say she pulled the odd heavy load!

IMG_1345_zpsd48ed82e.jpg

During refurb

IMG_1529_zpsb8c22a35.jpg

And after. She has changed somewhat since with new wheels and tyres some trim running boards A bar spots etc etc.

IMG_1547_zps7673d405.jpg

I did think that but the temp gauge didn't go any higher than normal. Stayed at half way. Like it always does.

I thought it was the trailer at first.

Will find out again tomoz. Pulling a heavier load. Twin axle trailer with big rib on it. Plus engines and all bits.

As Quip says, its unlikely to be clutch. When pulling heavy its more likely to slip when setting off, not in a higher gear like down the motorway.

I'd also discount the trailer as you're unlikely to smell something behind you, unless its a HUGE back wind! Lol!

Your engine temp guage will only tell you water temp, not the temp of bits and bobs surrounding the motor. If its a 200tdi, its likely had a typical infestation of dribbles of oil here and there over the years, odd bits of plastic and rubber in the wrong places. Its more likely that giving a beasting down the road in this heat, its just burning unneeded stuff off!

After all, its a landy. If its still running, there's nowt wrong with it. If something falls off, throw it in the back and carry on. If something sets on fire, throw some water on it, and carry on.:thumbup:

The temp gauge is nothing to go by. The cooling system will keep the block at a steady temp but the exhaust manifold and downpipe will be begging for mercy. Any road detritus that survived in the normally cooler areas gets burned off, either way if it smelled of rubber it isn't the clutch, friction linings have a very distinctive smell.

Ok. I know the clutch smell very well. Why I was a bit confused over the type of smell. T clutch was all I could think of. Plus with going up hill aswell.

Will be checking it tomoz. Thank you.

As Quip says, its unlikely to be clutch. When pulling heavy its more likely to slip when setting off, not in a higher gear like down the motorway.

I'd also discount the trailer as you're unlikely to smell something behind you, unless its a HUGE back wind! Lol!

Your engine temp guage will only tell you water temp, not the temp of bits and bobs surrounding the motor. If its a 200tdi, its likely had a typical infestation of dribbles of oil here and there over the years, odd bits of plastic and rubber in the wrong places. Its more likely that giving a beasting down the road in this heat, its just burning unneeded stuff off!

After all, its a landy. If its still running, there's nowt wrong with it. If something falls off, throw it in the back and carry on. If something sets on fire, throw some water on it, and carry on.:thumbup:

Remind me. I need to get a new extinguisher. :lol:

You got it finished Rob? Any pics?

It's a discreet mount so looks as standard. Just with a bit of rope hanging out the front. Still need to trim the front bumper a touch to allow plenty room around the fair lead. I'd trimmed it but I had the winche sat about half an inch lower than it should so when its all been bolted up its higher.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373825954.957498.jpg.519ce1d75048de54b9753afe3c5933b7.jpg

Took some during pictures but ill get some afters tomorrow!

Nice one Rob, stick 'em up when she's done:thumbup1:

On another note, if you need any bits for it I'm soon going to be breaking a late series 1 so let me know. Its complete, I just bought it for the motor so the rest will end up on the Bay eventually:001_cool:

Nice one Rob, stick 'em up when she's done:thumbup1:

On another note, if you need any bits for it I'm soon going to be breaking a late series 1 so let me know. Its complete, I just bought it for the motor so the rest will end up on the Bay eventually:001_cool:

It's done. Took about 4 and a half hours in all. Was all fairly straight forward.

Ill take some pics tomorrow.

Late series 1 will be 300tdi?

What spec was it? If its high spec with leather seats and they're in good nick ill be interested. Although if they are leccy seats it'll be a problem.

Take some pics and ill see if there's anything I can see I'd need/want if that's ok

It's done. Took about 4 and a half hours in all. Was all fairly straight forward.

Ill take some pics tomorrow.

Late series 1 will be 300tdi?

What spec was it? If its high spec with leather seats and they're in good nick ill be interested. Although if they are leccy seats it'll be a problem.

Take some pics and ill see if there's anything I can see I'd need/want if that's ok

Ah, well not sure there'll be much on it then, it's S reg but a 3.9 V8 and just the ES model. Cloth seats, alloys, towbar etc all panels are good. The truck still has life left in it and possibly a shame to break it, but its low mileage for a V8 and they're getting hard to find now.

Bare it in mind if you need anything though:thumbup1:

Ah, well not sure there'll be much on it then, it's S reg but a 3.9 V8 and just the ES model. Cloth seats, alloys, towbar etc all panels are good. The truck still has life left in it and possibly a shame to break it, but its low mileage because its a V8 and they're getting hard to find now.

Bare it in mind if you need anything though:thumbup1:

Fixed that for ya:laugh1: