The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

I have always liked the look defender but never really driven them much until the last twelve months or so. To be honest at first i wasnt too impressed, i thought they were a bit sluggish, uncomfatable, horrible to drive! BUT more lately I have been working with them and changed my mind completley! I have made the mistake of comparing them to an normal vehicle. They are more like a tractor- a real work horse, powerful, robust, simple, tow anything and you can add loads of mans toys such as winches, chains,lights, big mud pluggin tyres, bars -- i have really got the bug at the moment. I dont think it will be long before there is a one outside my house. :thumbup:

I have always liked the look defender but never really driven them much until the last twelve months or so. To be honest at first i wasnt too impressed, i thought they were a bit sluggish, uncomfatable, horrible to drive! BUT more lately I have been working with them and changed my mind completley! I have made the mistake of comparing them to an normal vehicle. They are more like a tractor- a real work horse, powerful, robust, simple, tow anything and you can add loads of mans toys such as winches, chains,lights, big mud pluggin tyres, bars -- i have really got the bug at the moment. I dont think it will be long before there is a one outside my house. :thumbup:

I think that story is familiar to many, many of us:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm a big fan of the defender mainly due to the entry/exit angles. The bodywork simply ends at the wheels. otherwise underneath its the same as a disco.

They are tractory and uncomfortable and not very nippy, true and You can get cold and wet driving one.

But any vehicle that's comfy to drive and has road handling capacity won't have a front beam axle. It's the beam axles that keep her feet on the ground with some jaw dropping articulation.

I like the short wheelbase best. Had longer ones but they ware out quicker underneath when they catch on stuff.

I'm a big fan of the defender mainly due to the entry/exit angles. The bodywork simply ends at the wheels. otherwise underneath its the same as a disco.

They are tractory and uncomfortable and not very nippy, true and You can get cold and wet driving one.

But any vehicle that's comfy to drive and has road handling capacity won't have a front beam axle. It's the beam axles that keep her feet on the ground with some jaw dropping articulation.

I like the short wheelbase best. Had longer ones but they ware out quicker underneath when they catch on stuff.

Errrrr it’s not the same, defenders do have parts in common with some disco models there are some significant differences, you can’t just take a disco undercarriage and chuck it under a defender or vice versa.

You would be disappointed if you put a defender transfer box in a disco.

Errrrr it’s not the same, defenders do have parts in common with some disco models there are some significant differences, you can’t just take a disco undercarriage and chuck it under a defender or vice versa.

Ah well I never inspected it that closely.

Ok, I had a second look and yeah it's almost exactly the same.

Phew, I thought I'd lost the plot there for a moment.