The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

We use a couple of our land Rovers for winch competitions, we did the Welsh extreme over the bank holiday which was a three day event, the Friday was prologue and night stage, Saturday was special stages and Sunday was 43 punches.

We came 14 out of 33 so not to bad, we finished a bit early on Sunday as one of the batteries got a bit hot and is now oval shape, thought the fire extinguisher was going to come into play but we managed to islolate it and all was good

The truck ready to go after scrutineering

Welsh extrem.jpg

We take the kids with us

Welsh extrem dan and demi.jpg

We are on the far bank winching up out of a gully

Welsh extrem 2.jpg

597664d5041fa_Welshextrem2.jpg.6720d77d7fe3a397de0fed10e42b5e2c.jpg

597664d502939_Welshextremdananddemi.jpg.954f51d6c87cb799cf6dc0b5c8f8fb27.jpg

597664d50061b_Welshextrem.jpg.12b105b256707e0523157c8a28fe6ebf.jpg

We use a couple of our land Rovers for winch competitions, we did the Welsh extreme over the bank holiday which was a three day event, the Friday was prologue and night stage, Saturday was special stages and Sunday was 43 punches.

We came 14 out of 33 so not to bad, we finished a bit early on Sunday as one of the batteries got a bit hot and is now oval shape, thought the fire extinguisher was going to come into play but we managed to islolate it and all was good

The truck ready to go after scrutineering

Welsh extrem.jpg

We take the kids with us

Welsh extrem dan and demi.jpg

We are on the far bank winching up out of a gully

Welsh extrem 2.jpg

Lovely truck 8-)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Why is it illegal on Td5's? I thought you could get a kit for them for a bonnet mounted spare.

Outlawed on new vehicles in 1998 due to safety concerns. In a hard frontal the wheel can come through the windscreen and kill the occupants. So a bit like the 3rd front seat, LR could not obtain type-approval with a bonnet mount. You cannot legally retrofit a mount to a 1998-on vehicle even though a Tdi mount or bonnet will fit.

Another victory for the interfering do-gooders!

Outlawed on new vehicles in 1998 due to safety concerns. In a hard frontal the wheel can come through the windscreen and kill the occupants. So a bit like the 3rd front seat, LR could not obtain type-approval with a bonnet mount. You cannot legally retrofit a mount to a 1998-on vehicle even though a Tdi mount or bonnet will fit.

Another victory for the interfering do-gooders!

Good info. :thumbup1: Just as well I didn't buy one of the kits then! To be honest, I don't really miss the bonnet mounted spare. It made it hard to lift the bonnet and restricted vision of the front when manouvering or even just driving. My wife refused to drive it with the wheel on the bonnet as she couldn't see properly.

Looks like I will shortly own my first LR, but I'm not sure yet what flavour. Was looking to find a cheap farm hack to replace a test fail Trooper when I was offered an immaculate 2000 110 County on 19k miles for a very good price. Then owner had 2nd thoughts about selling and pointed me to a 97 Disco van on 80k that he'd sold on to a local enthusiast fitter, it's also near spotless and obv much cheaper, then I'm told that the 110 definitely has to go!

Disco is what I was actually looking for, Defender is a lovely bit of kit , buying both is not really an option....Decisions, decisions.

Looks like I will shortly own my first LR, but I'm not sure yet what flavour. Was looking to find a cheap farm hack to replace a test fail Trooper when I was offered an immaculate 2000 110 County on 19k miles for a very good price. Then owner had 2nd thoughts about selling and pointed me to a 97 Disco van on 80k that he'd sold on to a local enthusiast fitter, it's also near spotless and obv much cheaper, then I'm told that the 110 definitely has to go!

Disco is what I was actually looking for, Defender is a lovely bit of kit , buying both is not really an option....Decisions, decisions.

Disco. Much more comfy to drive and use.

That is definitely the view of Herself. Plus the 110 is very tidy indeed, while I am not. And I've plenty of other things to spend the difference on.

But it is a beautiful thing.

Ironic that I've been looking all over and they're both within 3 miles.

If you own an elbow on your right arm its a no brainer, disco all the way, subject to mechanical and rot caveats

If you own an elbow on your right arm its a no brainer, disco all the way, subject to mechanical and rot caveats

All feels tight, traceable local service paper, always waxoyled etc. New rear floor from leaky alpine window, tin otherwise solid everywhere. Raised 1" but stiffer New springs. And yes, wouldn't look forward to family visits to Gloucestershire in the 110 drivers seat.

Tom, thanks for offering to strain my already aching wee brain with a 3rd choice but I'll pass for now.

Btw, any news on doing the Ash survey I mailed you about?