Looking at getting my first land rover

Alasdair

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i brought a j plate mitsubishi pajero on a j plate for £900 about 3 year ago never been a spot of bother it even had four new bf goodrich all terrain tyres on it when i brought it the only thing ive had to do is put a new drag link ball joint which started to knock but i got that off the net for £9 so there parts arnt that deer and easy to source even though its an import

If you really have to buy a Land rover i would buy a discovery over a defender for about 3k, 300TDI about 10 year old for that money. If your really brave you might find a TD5 for about £3000 i have seen one or two around but what they were like i don`t know, probablly high miles 150k +.

Mileage isn`t a real problem if it has been looked after and alot of these sort of vehicles would be leased so servicing should have been done.

Another choice is look for a bag of crap and build your own, 6-£700 would get you a heap then look to rebuild it into what you want, at least then you`ll know how to fix it when it goes wrong!

Several folks on here have done loads to their landies so help is at hand.

Good luck!

£3000 isn't much for a 200 or 300 tdi..you might get a good example 2.5 TD, but that engine had a hell of a lot of problems. I know I'm managing with a 2.5 normally aspirated 110, and I've seen examples similar to mine for £1500 -2000 but god it's slow. Reliable-ish, and cheap to fix, but it leaks oil here and there as well - I think they all do from that era.

Mine was ex-military from Withams, but I think the military ones are a bit over priced - they're not that much different from a civvy one. I bought mine from there because I needed it in a hurry, and hadn't found anything else in the paper.

The only other option is if you're lucky at an auction.

I've found NFU mutual are good for Landrover insurance.

I had a 2.5 N/A, 90, could have run faster up hills.

If your like mecanics or want to learn there great. If you've got the time and resouses then build your own, by a chep 90 or defender with good body work, new galvanised chasi and a 200tdi disco with a good engine and rotten body work (can pick them up very cheap), swap engine, axels then sell the left overs.

There was someone on here with what looked like a tidy 200tdi hicap that wanted a chassis for not much money. New galv chassis on ebay for £650 - would make it a cheap truck that would last well.

If you do get a landy it'll be a love hate relationship but for how much youll hate it you'll always want another!

£3000 isn't much for a 200 or 300 tdi..you might get a good example 2.5 TD, but that engine had a hell of a lot of problems. I know I'm managing with a 2.5 normally aspirated 110, and I've seen examples similar to mine for £1500 -2000 but god it's slow.

QUOTE]

Nick, If you're in the market for a 200 or 300 engine I've maybe got one of each available at the mo.

If you've got your heart set on a landy spend £3k on a 300tdi discovery. Discos are miles cheaper at the moment and unless you're extreme off roading they're just as capable,. You will get so much more for your money and a quieter more comfortable ride, or if you want to "Extreme off road" then spend 2k on the vehicle the other grand on "tricking" it up. A 2k disco will be in better nick than a 3K defender anyway.