Looking at getting my first land rover

Alasdair

Not sure where this need loads of ££££ to buy a landy comes form, i have owned 2 discos, a 200tdi and a 300tdi, neither of them cost me more than

£7k. Both were 6 years old ish. Total i spent on both due to breakdowns would be no more than £2k at most and that was for 10 years motoring.

Biggest job was clutch fork wearing through and needing new lever and while we were in there puta clutch in it, if your confident and have the gear to do this sort of thing landies are great.If i remember right the total cost for Clutch,clutch lever and thrust bearing was about £150

I would say you need to be able to do basic mechanics and happy to spend an hour or 2 fixing things.

Alot of problems with landies are silly electrical problems that with a bit of knowledge and time most people can sort.

£2k would buy your a 1997 ish 300tdi Disco with around 100k on the clock.

Defenders are a little more expensive so you might be in the 200tdi upto 96.

Do not buy a non Turbo unless you are a snail !!!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure where this need loads of ££££ to buy a landy comes form, i have owned 2 discos, a 200tdi and a 300tdi, neither of them cost me more than

£7k. Both were 6 years old ish. Total i spent on both due to breakdowns would be no more than £2k at most and that was for 10 years motoring.

Biggest job was clutch fork wearing through and needing new lever and while we were in there puta clutch in it, if your confident and have the gear to do this sort of thing landies are great.If i remember right the total cost for Clutch,clutch lever and thrust bearing was about £150

I would say you need to be able to do basic mechanics and happy to spend an hour or 2 fixing things.

Alot of problems with landies are silly electrical problems that with a bit of knowledge and time most people can sort.

£2k would buy your a 1997 ish 300tdi Disco with around 100k on the clock.

Defenders are a little more expensive so you might be in the 200tdi upto 96.

Do not buy a non Turbo unless you are a snail !!!!!

As you said you don't need loads of money on Disco's. Defenders however are a different matter.

Find a 3k defender that you would happily use as a daily driver and present to potential customers and you are a better man than me.

I was told before I bought mine 'Don't buy a defender unless you have a damn good tool kit!' They were right, there is ALWAYS something to fix, tweek or stop leaking.

I’ve had many Landrovers over the years. My first was a series 3 pick-up and then I moved on to Defenders. I started buying ex-army Defenders from the auctions, running them for 12 months and then selling them on.

The budget you have will get you a good Defender. Get one with the 300TDI engine, not the 200TDI (although its still a good engine, the 300 has many internal improvements) If you want to be brave (and like the image) buy an ex-army Defender, the money you have would get you a normally aspirated 2.5 engine. These are very tough little engines as they are not turbo’d they are under-stressed. (be warned though, they are not fast!)

Don’t buy Japanese, buy the original, get a Landrover.:001_smile:

whats the difference between commerical and normal insurance.

its going to be my daily run about.Alasdair

Ordinary insurance is usually called PLG which stands for private light goods. Commercial means youre earning a crust from it. If its just a runabout go for PLG, it should be cheaper. Try the NFU first.

Landrovers (Defenders) are a complete enigma, and manage to be a rolling dichotomy. How can something so awsome be so utterly crap at the same time?

Owning a Landrover is like having a HUGE penis - that suffers from constant impotence, incontinence, and occasionaly falls right off.

Edited by Mr Ed
thought of an entertaining simile

Landrovers (Defenders) are a complete enigma, and manage to be a rolling dichotomy. How can something so awsome be so utterly crap at the same time?

Owning a Landrover is like having a HUGE penis - that suffers from constant impotence, leaks, and occasionaly falls right off.

:lol::lol::congrats::congrats:

Agree with most of the sentiment here. Have had 200, 300 tdi and TD5 in 110 Hi-Cap (co I worked for - not mine) and all of them were troublesome, even when brand new. Flippin uncomfortable, noisy but good for towing. Had a Hilux after that - better, Navara after that (old one) - better again - sweet diesel and now a Mitsu L200. Simple conclusion - Jap is better and more reliable. Can't understand the love affair with Land Rovers. Interestingly, I've had clients say they think Japanese 4x4s look a heck of a lot more professional than a Land Rover...