What small telehandler to buy gratefull of advice

gensetsteve

I use my forklifts alot and am thinking of chopping in my old JCB 525. I am reducing the size of my yard but would still like at least a 2 tonne lift. I am thinking a 520-40 or 525-50 one of the later little jobbies with proper 4x4 not the teletruck. Or possibly a manitou buggiscopic but I find them a bit revvy, crude and slow. Any advice welcome especially regards repair access, overheating, joysticks and electrics falling apart etc

My brothers have just changed their old Saunderson, they did a lot of research on the subject and spoke to a wide range of owners. Their choice was a Manitou, not one owner had anything but praise for theirs. I have used it and to be honest prefer the joystick layout on a John Deere that I use quite a bit. Seems a well made bit of kit though.

A

Have you thought about one of the bigger csf/avant loaders? Not too sure on the max lift though, 2 tonne might be pushing it.

Yes had a look a year ago excellent looking bit of kit for tight spaces. The very biggest one lifts a tonne and costs about 20k new. Difficult to find used. Thats why we decided on a used 2 tonne machine. we often pick up 2 tonne stuff ie silent gensets and packs of wood.

A small Merlo is worth considering. All in all they're really good - the main issues with them are the axle trunions and the brakes. Trunions are dead easy to fix and don't use the brakes (use the transmission to stop unlike the JCB)