10 long years

Stephen Blair

I was thinking of going down the consultancy route (maybe buy a picus, do tree surveys and gather a list of contractors I can use for the work generated from the surveys) :sad:

No need to buy a full or even a half fat Picus, Johnny

Just blow the dust and cobwebs off the one sitting on the bottom shelf in your office,

I'm sure the LA wouldn't even notice it gone :wink:

597653bcf0056_2006_1020Misc00262028Medium29.jpg.d1c5e5c6e4439dde88ab862440175b4b.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 9th. year at the L/A, 40 this year and thinking its too late to go self-employed!? :confused1:

You need to persuade the council that it would be cheeper to use contractors,then get a big fat redundancy pay out ££££££ ,then start on your own and do the same work as you were doing before (you can but dream).

In my 9th. year at the L/A, 40 this year and thinking its too late to go self-employed!? :confused1:

You need to persuade the council that it would be cheeper to use contractors,then get a big fat redundancy pay out ££££££ ,then start on your own and do the same work as you were doing before (you can but dream).

Stranger things have happened! If we ever go the 'contractor route' that’s exactly what I'll do.

I was thinking of registering a name for the business now (even if I stay at the council) That way if I start up in 10 years time I could say ‘Established 2009’

What do you think….?

Stranger things have happened! If we ever go the 'contractor route' that’s exactly what I'll do.

I was thinking of registering a name for the business now (even if I stay at the council) That way if I start up in 10 years time I could say ‘Established 2009’

What do you think….?

i think you would make a good Simon King stunt double big man:001_tongue:

I did my main training about 10 years ago, (all on 3 strand nylon) but started trading full time self employed about 8 years ago. The last job I had I chucked in after a month, as the boss was a total ogre - I was getting £180 p.w for a 40 hr week, but it involved almost an hour's driving each way just to get there.

It's much better being self employed, but I've never made much money. I started with about £3,000 in savings, which bought climbing gear, an 026 and a Tranny tipper. now I reckon all my stuff is worth about £6,500, so not a great return, considering I've only ever drawn enough to pay rent, bills and buy food and not much else. Having said that, you can't put a price on being your own boss.

Edited by Quickthorn

Have been in business since the age of 16, some 22 years later its still going & provides a modest income leaving me with plenty of time on my hands to work for other people if i want, which is why I have also been self employed since I was 18.

Did a stint in arb between 90 & 98 when I decided to get out of it as to many people started doing it for quick cash.

Have been back in arb the past 3 months full time for a friend doing everything but use a saw, feed a chipper or have to sit in an office! :001_smile:

Or you might get TUPE'd across to the new company. :thumbdown:

when i was 14 spent a couple weeks doing work eperience with glendale tree surgery in parks .its all i wanted to do since then when 16 did one day a week college rest with a tree surgeon and on a private estate spent 7 years working in birmingham ,in my 8th year working in estate forestry now in kent mainly looking after woods and parkland trees

get a good variety of jobs

well been playing with these tree things for ohhh bugger 26 years this january ahhhhhhhhhh

been a doer a trainer local authority on planning and higways, and parks, college lecturer a doer again, run my own busniss for 7 years,

blimy gone gray got all my own hair but not my own teeth,

blimy seen um cum seen um go seen them injure them selves and a few good trys at completly removing one self from the gene pool....

gosh this is making me meloncolly...

still not a bad way to ern a living

cheers

all