Luke Kershaw

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::lol:

You turn the engine clockwise until the piston covers the exhaust port, get a piece of recoil rope and stuff it down the plug hole until you can get no more down there - long nose pliers help and you then turn the engine clockwise until the rope compresses and stops the engine turning over.

It provides a good even pressure on the piston and works well on larger engines where the clutch is pretty locked on.

The first time i tried this using cord, some of the fibers got trapped on the edge of the piston and jammed it. Since then i have only ever used the metal screw in one.

The first time i tried this using cord, some of the fibers got trapped on the edge of the piston and jammed it. Since then i have only ever used the metal screw in one.

My advice is to use the double ended stihl plastic one, I have never liked the screw in ones. The rope trick has worked for me, you probably got a bit stuck in a port as it would be nigh on impossible to get 4mm rope down the side of a piston!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just a wee bump. Had a problem with 9mm climbing rope I was stopping the piston with in the 088. Just put a short section in and the piston sheared right through it. Can't see the sheared rope for love nor money so would filling the cylinder with fuel then pulling the starter cord do the trick or is there something else I can try? You say it definitely won't get through to the exhaust at that diameter? & what are the odds it'd burn it out if I started it up instead? That's a last resort, obviously.

Thanks

Just a wee bump. Had a problem with 9mm climbing rope I was stopping the piston with in the 088. Just put a short section in and the piston sheared right through it. Can't see the sheared rope for love nor money so would filling the cylinder with fuel then pulling the starter cord do the trick or is there something else I can try? You say it definitely won't get through to the exhaust at that diameter? & what are the odds it'd burn it out if I started it up instead? That's a last resort, obviously.

Thanks

woops. sounds like you put the rope in the port and not in the plug hole.

sounds like the rope is now stuck between the piston and wall. only option is to remove the cylinder, the danger you now have is the rope pushing the piston over and trapping the rings against the ports or transfers, not a good thing to happen, and with the price of a replacement pot and piston my advice would be to take the pot off. if its not in there it maybe in the crankcase.

sounds like a lesson learnt to me.

I've used (the dreaded) blue poly rope down the plug hole and never had problems but I read of someone trying to get cord down the plug hole and out of the exhaust port instead of winding the piston back up to the top which would try to cut the rope and cause fibres to be left in the cylinder.