90s disco

RobRainford

We looked for ages for a disco for my dad, gave up in the end as they were all going in the door as you photo'd. Out of the ones we looked at that looks quite bad, a lot were just bubbling up rather rust showing. We got a p38 in the end, that wasn't the best choice either :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was bubbling and in the photos we had had a good poke around to see the extent. So where it's holed that's our fault. Wanted to check its extent of the rust. I know people who would help me fix it and save me money compared to a garage.

I don't want to drop more than 1500 notes on this.

How long is the MOT?

Check the chassis and boot for rot too.

If you have to pay to get the welding done you could easily spend another £1500 giving you £3000 for a motor that's almost 20 years old.

Old Discos are great vehicles, but they need to be cheap as chips to buy.

MOT till next march. I don't have to spend a huge amount getting fixed. We have a welder and know a good mechanic who will sort me out. Girlfriends dad does bodywork so can help with any re spraying. It's not urgent work so can do spots at a time.

Chassis seemed solid. Had a quick peek around and couldn't see anything untoward. Update tomorrow!

The rot you got already is an MOT failure, a disco of that age will likely be a crusty turd, front end will be ok because of the oil leaks, the back end will be a mess, if it isn't already it will be in the next year or two, you are buying a load of work.

Waxing a chassis of that age is a waste of money, sand blast and paint is a better option.

2k is double it,s value, I can pick up MOT failures (which is the next step for this car) for half a grand. Kick him in the nuts with a bid of seven hundred and aim to finish at a grand or just over, but only just over, fifteen is too much even if the the turd is rolled in glitter.

Dont want to urinate on your bonfire Rob, but with MOT 'till March and that rot, even with "low" mileage, that motor is worth between £6-800:blushing:

EDIT; just saw treequips comments. Yake note Rob, dont throw your coin away.

Edited by 18 stoner

Hello Rob,

I've got one the same age with 160000 miles on the clock and going strong. Not the best drive on the road but very good off road. If the chassis is sound, I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel arches or boot. If you've got a welder or know someone that has, all the parts are readily available. New wheel arches on ebay are around £40 each. Check it selects all the gears easily as the selecters for 2nd and 3rd tend to go so if there is any crunch into gear you might want to think again. Good luck.

Good advice Andy and others thanks. Will have a good think and mention that this rot ain't a good sign and I have already said that it needs work doing so dropped my offer. Not something I fancy being a money pit.

I think an offer of around a grand is good, they won't be happy but I'll talk them round! I'll use your tactic Andy but with less nut kicking!

Hello Rob,

I've got one the same age with 160000 miles on the clock and going strong. Not the best drive on the road but very good off road. If the chassis is sound, I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel arches or boot. If you've got a welder or know someone that has, all the parts are readily available. New wheel arches on ebay are around £40 each. Check it selects all the gears easily as the selecters for 2nd and 3rd tend to go so if there is any crunch into gear you might want to think again. Good luck.

Crunching into gears is knackered sycro gears, the gearbox will still drive fine, crunching gears is the lest of your worries, crusty cills, body mounts, inner wings and boot floor are much more of a problem

Hello Rob,

Checked all gears, smooth into each up and down. No crunching or difficulty at all.