Cheapo log splitters

kev7937

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, ive got the ryobi version and do about 30 cube a year for personal use. i, had it about 5 yr and no problems it is slow but i can stand there all day where as with an ax i was knackered after an hour. it does knotty stuff pretty well and experience soon tells you the best way of loading the log. anything to knotty i chop up with the saw after. i cut all my logs to 18 inch and have split oak and beech rings that have taken two of us to lift onto it. would def recommend one

Chris

I've had this for six years and split an artic load of wood with it every year:

Buy Axminster LS5T 5-ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

It's £198.50 at the moment.

The only fault has been a failed weld on the splitting wedge last year which was repaired by the local shipyard for a few quid.

I process 19" logs with it so there's very little ram travel before the split, if you're doing stuff that's much shorter you need to stick something between the ram and the log to speed things up.

I got a 5t Sealey splitter due to health reasons making me unable to splti with an axe over the last winter. Yes its slower than an axe, but if you cant swing an axe its quicker. Being an acquaintance of the Sealey area manager I got a good price, and with a years warranty itll do me for now. i wouldnt want one to use commercially though.

Hi, ive got the ryobi version and do about 30 cube a year for personal use. i, had it about 5 yr and no problems it is slow but i can stand there all day where as with an ax i was knackered after an hour. it does knotty stuff pretty well and experience soon tells you the best way of loading the log. anything to knotty i chop up with the saw after. i cut all my logs to 18 inch and have split oak and beech rings that have taken two of us to lift onto it. would def recommend one

Chris

Any idea how much you can get done in a day?

I got a 5t Sealey splitter due to health reasons making me unable to splti with an axe over the last winter. Yes its slower than an axe, but if you cant swing an axe its quicker. Being an acquaintance of the Sealey area manager I got a good price, and with a years warranty itll do me for now. i wouldnt want one to use commercially though.

Cheers :thumbup1:

I'll have a look later.

I've had this for six years and split an artic load of wood with it every year:

Buy Axminster LS5T 5-ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

It's £198.50 at the moment.

Looks like the Scheppach OX T500, but 100 cheaper, is it rebadged by Axminster or a chinky copy I wonder.

Balfor AV5 Looks good, with an exposed external ram, but twice the target price at least. Can be used either horizontal or vertical and has a decent oil capacity.