Cheapo log splitters

kev7937

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the Scheppach OX T500, but 100 cheaper, is it rebadged by Axminster or a chinky copy I wonder.

Mine is definitely made in China, and they look identical even down to the health and safety label. The Sheppach must be made in China - there's no way stuff this cheap is made in Europe.

I've had this for six years and split an artic load of wood with it every year:

Buy Axminster LS5T 5-ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

It's £198.50 at the moment.

The only fault has been a failed weld on the splitting wedge last year which was repaired by the local shipyard for a few quid.

I process 19" logs with it so there's very little ram travel before the split, if you're doing stuff that's much shorter you need to stick something between the ram and the log to speed things up.

Thanks

Looks pretty good for the price, though I cant see see any warranty info:confused1:

They all look frustratingly slow but cant help but think it might be worth it in the long run, splitting by hand cant be that good for you and I never feel that inclined after a hard days graft.

i think the ram speed may be down to H&S, not sure. TBH I dont theyre any slower than processor rams, and with shorter travel. iwould never have bought one if it hadnt been for my health, Ive always split easily enough with an axe and maul, probably be back to that before long, at least the splitter will last longer!!

i think the ram speed may be down to H&S, not sure. TBH I dont theyre any slower than processor rams, and with shorter travel. iwould never have bought one if it hadnt been for my health, Ive always split easily enough with an axe and maul, probably be back to that before long, at least the splitter will last longer!!

Why will you revert to the maul ?

Speed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kev i,ve got a cheapo 4 tonne splitter. I split about 5 cube,ish a year with mine cost me £89.99 about 3 years ago. I split knotty stuff to with it. Only thing is it is low to the ground and 2 handed operation. You can get a stand. If you split when timber is still green it wont fly. Got mine from Screw Fix. I used to split by hand for sale to as part of winter business. Got mine for home so i do not anoy neighbours its great. Still trying to get me mrs to use it though.

Why will you revert to the maul ?

Speed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Partly, on smaller quantities the axe/maul will outperform a splitter, but if youre splitting a large amount of timber then the splitter wont tire out. plus swinging an axe is a good physical exercise, is therapeutic, and is less boring