Cheapo log splitters

kev7937

Has anyone used one ?

I'm thinking about something in the £200 price bracket which I think means I'll get about 4t of pressure .

We don't sell logs so I can avoid all the knotty stuff and splitting the purchase between 4 of us I guess it will have to do about 20m3 a year .

It's gotta beat splitting with a cheap boot sale maul but how long will it last ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I could do but I thought a cheap splitter would be easier.

How good can an axe be and how much effort will it save?

I've split 250 tonnes over the last year cos my cheapo log splitter broke. Went to hospital today for a pre-op and they couldn't believe how fit i was!

Have a look on ebay at just how many cheapo splitters there are on there as spares or repair or even as second hand parts - there lies your answer as to how good they are!

I'm not expecting it to last years and years, just wondered if anyone had any experience with them and have any idea how many cube of easy logs I could split before it gives up

Has anyone used one ?

I'm thinking about something in the £200 price bracket which I think means I'll get about 4t of pressure .

We don't sell logs so I can avoid all the knotty stuff and splitting the purchase between 4 of us I guess it will have to do about 20m3 a year .

It's gotta beat splitting with a cheap boot sale maul but how long will it last ?

Have seen them at that price, they are extremely slow & you can split by hand faster using wedges or maul, or in fact if you "are avoiding knots" you could use your axe!