BIG SAWS-best choice.

leafcut

Hi, I am in the market for a large saw. Firstly it would be used for dropping large/big trees and then dismantling etc. Also I am considering an alaskan mill which the saw would be used for slabbing etc. It would obviously need be be in excess of 100cc and a real workhorse. I have to some degree narrowed things down to either a stihl 880 or a huqvarna 3120, both being the largest saws from two of the main players in the chainsaw industry. I know there is a price difference of arond £3 to £400 between the sthil and the husky brand new. I was hoping that members could advise on the good and bad points of very large saws, the pros and cons, and their personal reccomendations based on their experiences. I must make an informed decision and fast, I know they are a chunk of money and would like to think my decision was the correct one, thanks for your help, regards...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As above, in reality you'd only really use 880/3120 for felling a big stick and ringing up the biggest bits. For milling the extra power would come in handy though.

As much as I'm husky through and through, I really get on well with the 660 from stihl. With a 25" on it's small enough for delimbing and it pulls a 30" with ease. I've heard of people using it with a 36" but I haven't so can't comment.

Unless you do a lot of big trees, like 4ft plus diameter, I'd reckon you'll find a 120cc stays in the shed a fair bit whereas a 95cc saw will tend to get brouht out a bit more often.

As above, in reality you'd only really use 880/3120 for felling a big stick and ringing up the biggest bits. For milling the extra power would come in handy though.

As much as I'm husky through and through, I really get on well with the 660 from stihl. With a 25" on it's small enough for delimbing and it pulls a 30" with ease. I've heard of people using it with a 36" but I haven't so can't comment.

Unless you do a lot of big trees, like 4ft plus diameter, I'd reckon you'll find a 120cc stays in the shed a fair bit whereas a 95cc saw will tend to get brouht out a bit more often.

Excellent Post:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Like alot of people on here,I have felled a good few large Trees.However in 17 years of doing this job.I can only think of a handfull that I needed a bar Longer than 36".And non of those were in the UK.

IMHO I would stick to a 70+cc for just about everything. Typically, a 100cc saw will only come out a few times a year, for that Big Fell. most of the time they sit around gathering dust.

sums it up i have a husky 372 70cc i use that with a 15in 20in and 26in all runs fine with it. i also have the husky 3120 its bloody heavy drinks fuel and very rarely comes out to play. unless theres a big stem to ring up.

HI CHRIS your right there a 660 with 25"" bar is a good saw 880 weights a ton:thumbdown: and how many time do you use a saw like that on large butts :thumbup:

If your going to be doing a lot of milling get the bigger saw. If not then a 660 395 390 will be fine.

I have a 660 with a 36" bar on it cuts well but with a 28-30 on it would be better. Most of the time it sits in the shed but its great to know it's there when there is a big fell to be done.

I tend to do most of my big trees with a 576 18" bar with a cut in the front. It's good to know i've got the big saw back up though. Biggest tree i've done is 5' across was only 4' once the toes were off. Did it with the 3' bar but a 25 would have done. I'd go with a 395 if you can get on with the old chain break handle it's fantastic. I used them felling in Finland with 18" bars!