Tipping trailer for log delivering

shooterjim

As has been said this is an exemption from O licence, tacho still needed unless travelling to site within 100km and with tools and equipment driver will use on site.

Big question is which modern 4WD diesel has an unladen weight less than 2040kg??

Ok. The tacho forestry exemption states the carriage of goods within 100 km of the business base.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]97196[/ATTACH]

I bought a brian James tipper complete with ramps and mesh sides. It holds 4m3 of wood and even takes the tractor. The only problem is it's a bit weighty to move around by hand! Oh and they ain't cheap at 5k!

Hi TIM how are you getting on with your James trailer thanks Jon

The tacho regs gives an exemption for carrying your own goods even for sale. They also give forestry an exemption for carrying other people goods for haulage. Both limited to 100km RADIUS from your main base. If you want a radius tool look at this website HERE

Hire & Reward does not mean making or charging money. Its means haulage or courier / delivery jobs. Like Hiring a taxi or paying a courier. Delivery of your own goods is not hire or reward.

The tacho regs gives an exemption for carrying your own goods even for sale. They also give forestry an exemption for carrying other people goods for haulage. Both limited to 100km RADIUS from your main base. If you want a radius tool look at this website HERE

Hire & Reward does not mean making or charging money. Its means haulage or courier / delivery jobs. Like Hiring a taxi or paying a courier. Delivery of your own goods is not hire or reward.

So I would become able to deliver by trailer my own wood without a tacho? And if so where could I find the info? Thanks.

The last paragraph is what I've been lead to believe

Delivering your own goods, in this case firewood means: "you have

made a pure freight journey" and this is hire or reward.

"you are rewarded for this work in any way (payment or in

kind)"

So I would become able to deliver by trailer my own wood without a tacho? And if so where could I find the info? Thanks.

I will post it up in a min. (done)

The last paragraph is what I've been lead to believe

That is the DVSA definition. See attached docs.

Delivering your own goods, in this case firewood means: "you have

made a pure freight journey" and this is hire or reward.

"you are rewarded for this work in any way (payment or in

kind)"

That is not the definition that DVSA use. Cant find the file that gives the examples re hire or reward at the min but will soon, so will post it when I do.

Found it. Also attached. this is the info

What is not Hire or Reward

You are NOT usually operating for Hire or Reward when you carry goods you own or goods

you have used or will use in the course of your business.

Check example 6 of the hire or reward attachment.

See attached PDF re 100km exemptions.

Tachographs should be installed in vehicles to which

Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 applies. Certain vehicles

should be excluded from the scope of that Regulation

in order to introduce some flexibility, namely vehicles

with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7,5

tonnes used for carrying materials, equipment or

machinery for the driver’s use in the course of his

work, and which are used only within a 100 km radius

from the base of the undertaking, on condition that

driving such vehicles does not constitute the driver’s

main activity.

See second PDF on page 15 (the regs have increased the 50km to 100km)

I have also attached a self declaration form for you to fill in & keep in the cab.

The phrase to use during a road side stop is "operating on your own account" which is NOT Hire or Reward. The quote is re O licencee but its the same definition used for Tacho as well as its the same department (DVSA now not VOSA).

All info is my personal opinion, do not rely on it in a legal case. Please check the facts for yourself. Only a court can decide what the legislation actually means.

small-trailer-leaflet hire or reward.pdf

rules-on-drivers-hours-and-tachographs-goods-vehicles-in-gb-and-europe.pdf

tachograph_exemption_declaration.docx

Tacho 100km rules.pdf

Edited by Justme

Yes the agricultural or forestry exemption allows for carriage of goods for or from the holding, I was referring to general arboricultural work

The forestry exemption is the carriage of other peoples goods up to 100km radius from base. You can already carry your own goods/tools this far.

If none of the exemptions apply then as soon as you drive out the gate you need the tacho.

So as an arborist if you are carrying my wood under contract you need a tacho. If you are carrying your wood or tools you dont if within 100km radius of base.

I do not know what arrisings would be classed as & it might depend if they are yours or you are disposing of them for the client. Your contract with the client should define this. IE charge for removal or pay for product.

I would think that if you are taking them to the tip then a tacho would be needed as they are not yours but you are carrying them for me for a fee. Taking them back to base to further process for sale I would think that they are yours & so you are still exempt.

The courts might feel differently. The police or DVSA might during a road side stop might feel differently.