How much Arb "waste" can you process in a day?

benedmonds

needs 1,sawing 1, splitting ,you wont make much paying 2,wages out ,to max profit you need to do it your sen ,thats what i do ,or get them logging wen they have an early finish,get yr moneys worth out of them if yr paying them for 8hrs have them earning for 8hrs :biggrin:

I agree, my lads saw up when they have a few hrs spare, or even on the job sometimes, :thumbup1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to leave one guy doing logs when I was busy with other stuff. (arbtalk) He used to average 8-10 cube a day sawing the cord and splitting with a pto splitter.

When I used to get left at the yard on my own with a splitter I think 8 to 10 was around what I managed

I used to leave one guy doing logs when I was busy with other stuff. (arbtalk) He used to average 8-10 cube a day sawing the cord and splitting with a pto splitter.

When I used to get left at the yard on my own with a splitter I think 8 to 10 was around what I managed

Normally it is a bit here and there but we need to get a decent stock pile. I've only ever done a few for myself and it didn't seem to take that long..

It is the first time I have left them at it, and I will admit I was rather dissapointed with their output.

2 of us do 9 cu metres in 5 hrs on a saturday morning. Arb waste can be heavy going especially the bits that look like an octopus. We tend to get 3-4ft wide butts of beech 10ft long. The 20" stuff is too big for our processor but with good chain saw and splitter I dont think it is alot slower than 8" cord and you get alot more wood for your money.

we cut all arb waste into 8/10" rings on site, any large dia stuff gets halved / quatered.

back to the yard, sorted into hard or softwood.

my lads then split them, i allow 1 cube per man hour, any more they get a bonus, any less, i want to know why.

sometimes, on a weekend they'll split on their own time and i pay them £15 per cube done

every ones a winner

It seems it is just the sawing that is slow. They split everything they had sawed in under an hour. I guess they were sawing lots of small stuff. Two guys filled the same trailer that took the best part of a day in two hours today.

Bigger rings will take more splitting I suppose.

We only do the minimum of cutting on site, so when we have a tractor on site they can be pretty big lumps. I think it is the smaller stuff which is taking the time to process. We will have less and less of that as we've have a 10inch chipper now, that we didn't have when this wood was piled up.

sure hoping i didnt read that right - or we are just really tight on our estate....

hoping the 10 inch stuff dont go through chipper, we keep pretty much everything down to 3 - 4 inches for firewood. does take some time to deal with though

We pay top money for cordwood and I would say 20% is under 3 inches. Trying to cut 2" sticks with a processor is ball aching with a cahinsaw must be hell. Maybe you could gather all the sub 4" stuff and get a machine in for a day ie saw bench.