Firewood Maths Problem

Ians762

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a few tests on this and found that a cubic meter of mixed species wet wood weighed 600kg. That's hanging a cubic meter bag off the forklift in line with some scales.

I'd estimate oak would be closer to 650kg to 700kg for a cube..... so I'd say you get 1.5 cubic meters out of a ton of green wood. But this is from large fresh butts and not cord...

:001_smile:

Wow thanks for all of the replies, they are really appreciated.

I am looking at selling mostly ash as I will have access to large quantities of it, and I think I am right in believing that it is quite light ( Which means I get more volume per tonne)

The problem is I have done the maths and need to get 2 m3 sacks out of one tonne of green timber for it to be viable...

Maybe I should look at selling y3 sacks instead.

Wow thanks for all of the replies, they are really appreciated.

I am looking at selling mostly ash as I will have access to large quantities of it, and I think I am right in believing that it is quite light ( Which means I get more volume per tonne)

The problem is I have done the maths and need to get 2 m3 sacks out of one tonne of green timber for it to be viable...

Maybe I should look at selling y3 sacks instead.

One clever bunny

Makes you wonder why people don't sell timber by the yard- it would be 10% less wood and maybe you could charge the same price:thumbup1:

One clever bunny

Makes you wonder why people don't sell timber by the yard- it would be 10% less wood and maybe you could charge the same price:thumbup1:

Personally, I don't think thats a good idea as I feel that firewood delivery methods should all be standardised so that the customers know what they are getting. Some people sell by the load or half load which can be in different sized trucks or trailers, some by the m3 and customers are not able to work out what kind of deal they are getting from one seller to another. Standardise it to £/m3 so that everyone is working on the same system and no-one is being misled.

Thats just my thought on the matter, but every one is entitled to agree or disagree

One clever bunny

It would be a lot more than 10% mate!

A cubic yard is approx 0.72m cube, or a 900mm bag. You would easily get more than 2 bags from a ton of most hardwoods then:thumbup1:

Personally, I don't think thats a good idea as I feel that firewood delivery methods should all be standardised so that the customers know what they are getting. Some people sell by the load or half load which can be in different sized trucks or trailers, some by the m3 and customers are not able to work out what kind of deal they are getting from one seller to another. Standardise it to £/m3 so that everyone is working on the same system and no-one is being misled.

Thats just my thought on the matter, but every one is entitled to agree or disagree

I agree. 90% of my local competition sell by the "mystical LOAD". I sell by volume, and say exactly what you are getting, but I am afraid it seems people look at price over anything else, and forget what value they are getting (at least until they have taken delivery!). It would be great to have a standardised unit of sale - you are then comparing apples to apples, but with so many different bag sizes (that the customer cannot differentiate), and so many opportunist suppliers (that come and go with their double cabs, trailers etc.), I fear we live in hope...