A daft idea for keeping my logs dry

Dave Martin

To be fair, he's only cutting half the containers up, allowing him to sell the others. Could they be stacked 2 high, meaning you'd only have to cut up a quarter of them?

I would not advise stacking as the drips off the roof will blow back into the lower crate. I am already getting worried about how much water is getting on the logs towards the bottom of the crates. It is clearly not proving to be a great summer for drying logs.

• 1 year later...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just deceided to do exactly the same

You could cut couple of sticks and bend them across diagonals to give you some drainage

I'm wondering how far to come down sides with wrap......

Think i'll come down fit further than you ........

Have wondered about covering whole thing in summer, will act like greenhouseand moisture should condense on plastic and drip off

Have wondered about covering whole thing in summer, will act like greenhouseand moisture should condense on plastic and drip off

Would just re-evaporate into the pile with the rising sun I'd have thought, giving the logs a stagnant, warm, humid atmosphere in which to 'dry'.

Airflow's the key: just keep the air moving, regardless of how damp or dry it is.

I would expect rainwater to filter through pallet wrap and still drip on the logs. I t doesn't seal that well to itself, but still better than nothing.

Under an overgrown hedge is good. Not sure why but the wind very often whistles through hedges more than a few metres away, and rain is kept off very well. Best possible place for logs apart from under cover in my experience.

prices range from about £45 for a full 2nd hand ibc (ie with the bottle) and around £20 for the cage and pallet only - less for the wooden bottomed ones./

as for the dutch barn - i also have been looking into it as i have a fair number of western red cedars from some thinnings (40 or so inch) which will make cracking uprights - maybe do something crossed with a log cabin style.