Chainsaw ban!

Mark Bolam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just having a think and I'm sure that you DO need a license (sort of ) to operate a chainsaw within the law.

By law you must have public liability if you get paid for carrying out work.

All, as far as I know insurance companies state that you must hold the relevant chainsaw certificates to be covered by the insurance.

Now although they dont ask you for the tickets before you get insured it is still a requirement and if you dont have them when it comes to a claim they wont be paying out.

Same with motor insurance, they assume you have a license wit no points on its up to you to tell them.

So anyone using a saw for hire or reward with out tickets wont be covered by there insurance and are therefore operating illegally!

I think :confused1:

Most of the above is not true!!

Sorry:001_tt2:

I put all my time and energy into MY business!!

So I don't have any time or energy left to worry about what others do, be they "cowboy" or not.

Works for me!!

I think that you would find that more legislation would impact us far more than the less legitimate traders.

Yes indeed. Why do people in this industry get so obsessed by legislation, when time after time its proven that banning something simply does'nt work?

Last thing I want to see is someone in HSE who's never even used a chainsaw deciding that certain people cant buy them.

I could'nt give a toss about cowboys or pikeys. If they impact your business that badly, find something new to do.

Edited by Steve Bullman
language

Are you sure about that? Where abouts in Kent are you?

Pretty certain. I recently rang just about every hire company in Medway Yellow Pages, without success as far as saw hire is concerned. I'm a stump man and occasionally need something larger than the 24" bar, and nobody that I spoke to would hire any chainsaw, let alone what I needed? At least two blokes said it was largely the same all over..let me know if that is B.S

Pretty certain. I recently rang just about every hire company in Medway Yellow Pages, without success as far as saw hire is concerned. I'm a stump man and occasionally need something larger than the 24" bar, and nobody that I spoke to would hire any chainsaw, let alone what I needed? At least two blokes said it was largely the same all over..let me know if that is B.S

Well I dont know what,s going on there then. The firm "Hire Station" in Gillingham still hire out saws. I get my oil and files from them, have done for years so they know me well and obviously know what I do. They would have said if they had stopped hiring out saws, and they still advertise them for hire. Where are you in Kent?

I think that perhaps the hire companies dont wish to hire out the bigger saws/bars as it simply doesnt pay them to do so. A local company here used to hire out an 880 with 36" bar, and 9 times out of 10 it would come back in either with a bent bar, or a knackered chain, so how much can you hire such a saw out for? What they do now is hire out the engine unit, and you have to buy the bar/chain, which is yours to keep and look after, from a business point of view a better option for them.

Does a hire company have a duty of care to ensure that the operators/hirers are competent in the use of equipment before they hire it out? Or do they just assume you are competent and take the money?