Chainsaw ban!

Mark Bolam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not try and speak to the main suppliers of chainsaws in the UK, and try and get them to work along side us by enforcing the sales of chainsaws to have regulations to be bought such as having the correct documents.

You can allways try and pertition the government on the Gov website but I find that doesn't really help.

With all the contacts this site has in the Arb industry why not use them?

And like the Corgi registration we can approach people from the AA or RSA and see if they can start a registration program.

As for those "cowboys" I beleive there is a website somewhere where you can name and shame them, I remember seeing it on watchdog.

I put all my time and energy into MY business!!

So I don't have any time or energy left to worry about what others do, be they "cowboy" or not.

Works for me!!

I think that you would find that more legislation would impact us far more than the less legitimate traders.

Does anyone wish some loony would run amok with a chainsaw he'd just walked in and bought from B&Q or Argos?

Knee jerk reaction from government would be to ban general sale, tighten restrictions etc.

The have a go hero's would be forced to revert back to bow saws and we could all crack on and reap the rewards our industry has long deserved!

All joking aside, I reckon you will find that will happen eventually?Which really is not on, if you want to cut your own firewood or have a smallholding and need a saw that is your business. As things are, you can no longer hire a chainsaw in Kent, there has been too many accidents; thats the first step toward a ban for the general public on buying them, it may take a few years, but elf and safety loonies don't want us using a penknife if they have their way? Maybe a sensible general ruling would be make using ladders with chainsaws illegal. Most of the cowboys can't climb, and that would throw a spanner in the works.

why not try and speak to the main suppliers of chainsaws in the UK, and try and get them to work along side us by enforcing the sales of chainsaws to have regulations to be bought such as having the correct documents.

You can allways try and pertition the government on the Gov website but I find that doesn't really help.

With all the contacts this site has in the Arb industry why not use them?

And like the Corgi registration we can approach people from the AA or RSA and see if they can start a registration program.

As for those "cowboys" I beleive there is a website somewhere where you can name and shame them, I remember seeing it on watchdog.

I am afraid we have been there and done that to no success.

There is already an agreement and code of practice in place to restrict the sale of top handled saws to people qualified to use them.

A few years ago this subject of registration came up with the arb liaison group.

Adrian Hodkinson (HSE rep at the time) was of the opinion that a registration scheme would be inappropriate for the arb industry. Running an approval scheme isn’t a thing for the ISA / AA to start although they could participate if the necessary statute legislation were put in place. This is unlikely to happen because while working on trees does kill the occasional operative and may now and again endanger the public, we just don’t have the potential for collateral damage that something like a gas explosion does.

Huk is right, watch your business not theirs.

repeated topping while ugly and no good for the health of the tree and may kill it, like treequip stated isn't as serious as a gas explosion. people need to be educated but at the end of the day a lot of people see it as 'just a tree'. in my experience people don't look far beyond the end of their cheque book.

Jamie

Just having a think and I'm sure that you DO need a license (sort of ) to operate a chainsaw within the law.

By law you must have public liability if you get paid for carrying out work.

All, as far as I know insurance companies state that you must hold the relevant chainsaw certificates to be covered by the insurance.

Now although they dont ask you for the tickets before you get insured it is still a requirement and if you dont have them when it comes to a claim they wont be paying out.

Same with motor insurance, they assume you have a license wit no points on its up to you to tell them.

So anyone using a saw for hire or reward with out tickets wont be covered by there insurance and are therefore operating illegally!

I think :confused1: