Handed down on a plate.

It's the individual, we all have folk that have helped us along the way, whether it's an old school teacher passing on your name or a dad buying you a saw.

There is nothing wrong with getting a little help along the way, I wish someone had bought me a pile of stuff but they didn't but farmers have always given me somewhere to tip chip or burn brash due to the fact my surname has a good reputation.

A good word opens a door then it's up to the person to keep it open.

If its so easy to become a farmer and get a grant, then become a farmer .:)

Erm. I take it no relation to a tony then? :lol:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing your a farmers son :sneaky2::001_rolleyes:

I certainly am. I find it immensely irritating when sweeping generalisations are made about such a large group of people (50% of the worlds population work the land), and usually these are repetitions of stereotypical, unfounded opinions.

Yes there are rich farmers, there are also farmers who struggle their whole lives, never gaining much other than physical and mental damage. People see the big house in the countryside and the shiny tractors, not realising in a lot of cases these things aren't owned, they're financed or helped by subsidies (the £48bn spilt between the roughly 300,000 farms doesn't buy a whole new tractor these days, let alone set anyone up for life as you may see it albedo)

I am a farmers son, I haven't been given a yard or splitter. The most useful thing I've gained from my family is the mentality and ability to graft day in, day out.

Edited by Dan Curtis

I certainly am. I find it immensely irritating when sweeping generalisations are made about such a large group of people (50% of the worlds population work the land), and usually these are repetitions of stereotypical, unfounded opinions.

Yes there are rich farmers, there are also farmers who struggle their whole lives, never gaining much other than physical and mental damage. People see the big house in the countryside and the shiny tractors, not realising in a lot of cases these things aren't owned, they're financed or helped by subsidies (the £48bn spilt between the roughly 300,000 farms doesn't buy a whole new tractor these days, let alone set anyone up for life as you may see it albedo)

I am a farmers son, I haven't been given a yard or splitter. The most useful thing I've gained from my family is the mentality and ability to graft day in, day out.

This is an over reaction.

I didn't say set up for life, I said "jump start"

I do believe however that you should buy your own tractor with zero subsidy like I have to buy my own chipper with zero subsidy.

So your dads bought you most of your kit but you've put the add in the paper :001_tt2::lol:

What's wrong with him wanting to help me and have a set of useful kit that helps me make money.

We live on a farm, farming used to be a family thing but there was jut no money in it so he went in another direction.

The reason I mention farmers sons is not just sour grapes as it may seem.

Its about making the point that we are not all on a level playing field. Often people on this forum who I know to be from a farm background complain about unfair competition. That’s why I had a bit of a dig at farmers.

There is a hidden cost in owning a chipper.

Each time you tip the chip you lay down a pile, which cant be tipped on top of. You need to shove it all up into a pile occasionally .

If you are not from a farm background you will need to rent a yard and get the use of a tractor or something to shove the chip into a pile. The PTO from the tractor makes log production quicker and more cost effective than doing by hand.

That is why farmers sons who get these facilities laid on are at an advantage. I said ‘laid on’ not ‘free’ as circumstances will differ.

My exact words are quoted below.

“Yard and tractor with pto for logsplitter etc laid on and access to grants and benefits from the government “.

I certainly am. I find it immensely irritating when sweeping generalisations are

well said:thumbup1:

There are plenty of people that didnt need a helping hand and have built huge businesses, maybe accept you just are not as good at doing things as others.:001_rolleyes:

Blame blame blamety blame:lol:

The best form of defence is attack, aye , Mr Blair:001_smile: