Tennis Elbow

Mark Bolam

Got myself a real bad case of tennis elbow in my right arm. Trying to work round it, avoiding big climbs etc.

Physio has given me an elastic pressure pad for my upper forearm which helps a bit.

Anyone out there got any tips based on experience? At the mo it feels that my climbing career is basically over.

Any help appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got myself a real bad case of tennis elbow in my right arm. Trying to work round it, avoiding big climbs etc.

Physio has given me an elastic pressure pad for my upper forearm which helps a bit.

Anyone out there got any tips based on experience? At the mo it feels that my climbing career is basically over.

Any help appreciated.

if you use a top handle. throw it away.

rest is the only thing that will really help.

if it is a tubey grip you are using throw that away as well

you get a strap that goes round your arm on the meaty bit a couple of inches below the elbow, or as you now know it as the really sore tender bit.

the strap puts the pressure on that bit and lets the remaining few inches heal.

but take care, one of my lads had to get a cortizone injection.

he cant feel a thing but couldnt do tree work again.

avoid feeding big chippers. if you struggle to get the right strap pm your address and i will give you my one.stevie

I'm going through a tough bout of it too. Right elbow, since September.

It is easing, and its not the end of climbing etc. Just be careful. Excercise is all good, even if it hurts.

PL106-lge.jpg

Theses straps are really good, they are from proline sports on the web, very fast delivery time.

http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/Elbow_Tennis_Elbow_Strap.html

Also, cold spray stuff is good, ibuprofen will help (don't buy the expensive nurofen its the same stuff)

It will get better, but might come back again and again.

Get yourself a elbow support,it's a special one that straps the elbow real tight, avoid the elasticated type of support bandage, the next thing you should do is see a good physio and get them to work on your lower arm and hands, by freeing up those muscles and tendons it will help your bad elbow.