Have I bitten off more than I can Chew

wren100

6 months does seem a short time climbing to be lead climber , it could make you or break you IMO , explain whats on your mind to your boss but at the same time if you have what it takes this could be a good thing , just be safe what Eva you do

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is totally not fair on you . They are taking the piss in all honesty . You have to sit down and explain to your boss the situation . If he has dangled from a rope himself he should have more empathy with you . You are a long time dead ! ! The last thing you need is pressure from below . You take your time ,be safe and if that is not acceptable then ask to be put as second climber until your confidence and experience give you a bit more speed . I have seen this when a youngster is keen to prove himself and puts pressure on himself , expends huge amounts of energy and gets not very far . Relax . Tell em how you feel . Build up slowly . You will be top banana, I know because of your honesty and openness . I would gladly work with you based on what you are saying . It will all come good bud .

Very well put:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Jeez are we going soft or something? I can think of several climbers whove jumped into the deep end, including crane jobs on their 2nd week after passing their tickets. Those men have gone on to be some of the best in this area. If you dont feel capable, then you should step down to 2nd climber or whatever. At what time do you think you would be advanced enough to be the lead climber? 6months, 1 year....longer? Or maybe youll never be ready. You are responsible for your self, and your future.

at this moment its all i can think about. Im not the sort of person to give up on a dream and some thing i want to do. i always get there but i feel maybe i am out my depth in this one i am at six weeks now and i am getting better with each climb but i am a perfectionist i like to make sure im safe feel comfy and it looks perfect and finished to highest standard i can possibly get.I get home from work and sleep like a baby after dinner

thank you for the advice

This is a no brainer.

Stubby is right, and Andy I disagree... although I started the way you say.. I did nearly get killed more than once. :001_smile:

Talk to your boss and get back into your comfort zone el pronto young man:thumbup1:

Edited by Albedo
just sp no swearing

Jeez are we going soft or something? I can think of several climbers whove jumped into the deep end, including crane jobs on their 2nd week after passing their tickets. Those men have gone on to be some of the best in this area.

Those guy would not have started this thread Andy.

The fact that the OP has started this thread means he needs to get this situation sorted, IMO.

Jeez are we going soft or something? I can think of several climbers whove jumped into the deep end, including crane jobs on their 2nd week after passing their tickets. Those men have gone on to be some of the best in this area.

Don't agree here Andy! They may have done a crane job 2 weeks in but I bet there were other more experienced climbers giving them back up and advice. And did they climb before doing their tickets? If so they already had some experience.

I'd ask to step back from being lead climber and your reasons why. If they keep pushing you I'd start to look around for another job.

:001_smile:

Jeez are we going soft or something? I can think of several climbers whove jumped into the deep end, including crane jobs on their 2nd week after passing their tickets. Those men have gone on to be some of the best in this area. If you dont feel capable, then you should step down to 2nd climber or whatever. At what time do you think you would be advanced enough to be the lead climber? 6months, 1 year....longer? Or maybe youll never be ready. You are responsible for your self, and your future.

Agree with you Andy, 99%

The 1% is because your outlook (and mine) depends on the person in question, it takes a funny sort to just 'crack on with it' and although we like to think were all mostly like this, most of us arent.

With training from an exceptional centre and working for a company with the right attitude of course being a lead climber is possible direct from training, but I think this only works in 1 out of 100 cases and only then because all of the circumstances are correct.

As said, the first circumstance must be the climber having an amazing attitude and secondly the firm must have good staff backing the climber.

After passing my tickets I climbed various trees that looked 'hard'... but thinking logically and sensibly and being surrounded by the right people I had them down as safe as as quick as could be expected of the average experienced guy. Of course consistent quick precise work comes with time.

What I absolutely agree with is this chap shouldn't do anything unless he is happy. He will make a mistake under pressure.

Edited by Tom10
More info