What do climber's charge.£ per hour.???

jnoon

I think you need to look at it the other way round. You should think how much am I worth? This is in comparison to how much work you can do compared with other free lance guys in the same area. If other guys charge £100 and your twice as quick you should get heaps of work at £175. If you no quickker than the other guy you'll never get a peny more as long as he isnt booked up.

I was stopped subby climbing 4 or 5 years ago and was chargingg £175 to £250 a day depending on who I was working for and how much kit I was providing. At that rate it was repeat companies only as my rates were double most others. No one would pay that unless they were familiar with you already and are happy that youll do a good job in half the time as their next best option

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to look at it the other way round. You should think how much am I worth? This is in comparison to how much work you can do compared with other free lance guys in the same area. If other guys charge £100 and your twice as quick you should get heaps of work at £175. If you no quickker than the other guy you'll never get a peny more as long as he isnt booked up.

I was stopped subby climbing 4 or 5 years ago and was chargingg £175 to £250 a day depending on who I was working for and how much kit I was providing. At that rate it was repeat companies only as my rates were double most others. No one would pay that unless they were familiar with you already and are happy that youll do a good job in half the time as their next best option

Gibbons right, and this threads really made me feel a lot better about my situation. As a freelance I'm £150 a day with my own rigging kit and saw climbing kit etc, top notch gear in good as new order, I wouldnt work any other way. I am very experienced so like Gibbon, a few of us can and do charge more than average. The guys I do work for (my fulltime boss excluded!:001_rolleyes:) Know whatever the job, it will be done quick, be done safe, and it will be done in a day no questions, that takes a long time and a lot of effort to build up that level of trust and skill. Personally I still feel I am too cheap, and I am, its not enough to cover the true costs involved in the gear, the fuel and maintenance and upkeep of good standards and not forgetting retraining and CPD which we all should be doing, those things aint cheap.

If I could be sure I would be busy on 180 a day 5 days a week I would go freelance fulltime, but at the moment its too risky out there. I wish it was not the case because Im really keen to go self employed fulltime and cut loose from where I am.

I have been fortunate thanks to arbtalk to have gotten a few guys using me semi regularly and they really value me and that alone is worth more than an extra 20 quid so I may still risk it, just depends on how fed up I get which increases by the day!

Hourly rates are just rubbish, seriously, I wouldnt drive to a job if all there was in it for me was 2 hrs work at 15 quid an hour, what a joke.

Its true there's a lot of young eager beavers out there these days, the collages have been pumping them out for years now, one things for certain though, they are learning their craft at the expense of those hiring them, and you get what you pay for. I know I wouldnt let anyone with less than 5 years experience do 80% of the work I have to do, and lets face it us freelancers aint called in to do easy connie bashes! we get the knarlies, and were good at it cos thats ALL we get!:laugh1:

All I know is, I'm earning the same now as in my 20's, I am now 40 and have a mortgage! I guess that is progress huh? Personally I think I preferred the good old days when good climbers where like rocking horse manure and run off our feet 7 days a week, good old days when we was minted and having a blast!

I do miss the good old days, proper good times.

• 4 weeks later...
Personally I feel as though the whole industry is underpaid for the work we do. Get what you can and if you do a good job your name will be spread! Simple

Same in all industries. Labourers on big housing developments/construction sites working their nuts off for £50/day, highly skilled carpenters traveling 30 miles each way to work on big developments for £120/day. Highly skilled bwankers having to get by on 6 or 7 figure sums. Sad.

too right pedroski!...you should be paid what your worth...a new climber £100 to £120 a day is fair. Once you know the ropes and earn your boss some money £130 to £150 is a fair rate. Lets face it, after tax, fuel, insurance, ppe, training etc etc..its hardly worth it..Arb is poorly paid unless your the Guvnor. Work 6 days a week and don't go down the pub!

Same in all industries. Labourers on big housing developments/construction sites working their nuts off for £50/day, highly skilled carpenters traveling 30 miles each way to work on big developments for £120/day. Highly skilled bwankers having to get by on 6 or 7 figure sums. Sad.

You should take more time spell checking 😂😂👍💋

£150 is proper, yes i agree some are shite, skimp on equiptment, no saw chain brakes etc but you do get the hard workers with well maintained equiptment and they are obviously worth more

Just work for the £80 a day when you have nothing better to do, but only go at half speed.

Use the silky loads to save saw costs, and you wont be knackered when you get home. Genius.

Just work for the £80 a day when you have nothing better to do, but only go at half speed.

Use the silky loads to save saw costs, and you wont be knackered when you get home. Genius.

You'd get sussed within five minutes if you were working for me, chances are are I'd toe you up the arse and you'd never work for me again.