What do climber's charge.£ per hour.???

jnoon

I've been 'on the job' now for over ten years now and I charge £120 a day subbie. Still at that price I thunk it's too cheap but the work won't be there if I charge anymore. That's with all my own kit. There will always be someone who will do the job for less or for beer money probably because it's not their main job or they live at home so not so many bills to pay or they think they have earnt that £90

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your too cheap. How can you afford fuel, saws, vehicles, replacements for those, bars, chains etc etc & still have anything more than beer money left?

No one said anything about vehicles or fuel. As a freelancer you turn up and work, simples. None of that pricing, checking for tpo's or conservation area's, dealing with customer's, having the means to move and dispose of all the arisings and still compete with every other joe that's trying to get the work.

A oner a day is ample imo.

ps, I'd only expect a freelance climber to use his own 200 and nothing else saw wise that belongs to him.

I think the issue here is more the fact that the chap he used to work for now basically pays only beer money for labour, rather than pay a decent day rate for a semi skilled dedicated "professional" arb. Id be assessing you (jnoon) for what you bring to the table, your attitude and your skills. Thats hard to do over the net, but if you can make me money then you should earn sensible renumeration for your efforts. As a start, Id expect you to be charging me £120 a day, your tools and fuels etc inclusive, if youre good and reliable, safe and make me money, that would increase in time, if youre not....well theres a lot of good arbs out there waiting to find work

If you are doing strictly subby work, cancel your pi insurance - that'll save some cash.

£100 is fine for your exp. in a year or two perhaps it'll increase to £120?

Anything less than that is a p-take, Considering you don't get 28 days paid leave, use your own kit, maintain it etc.

I think the issue here is more the fact that the chap he used to work for now basically pays only beer money for labour, rather than pay a decent day rate for a semi skilled dedicated "professional" arb. Id be assessing you (jnoon) for what you bring to the table, your attitude and your skills. Thats hard to do over the net, but if you can make me money then you should earn sensible renumeration for your efforts. As a start, Id expect you to be charging me £120 a day, your tools and fuels etc inclusive, if youre good and reliable, safe and make me money, that would increase in time, if youre not....well theres a lot of good arbs out there waiting to find work

'bout right, thing is once you get proficient you really should start finding your own work. By the time your 35 or so (give or take) 120 won't be enough and younger, hungrier climbers will be taking your subby work.

something to look forward to!:001_smile:

Hi all,

Just been speaking to a tree surgeon i used to work for (asking for a bit of chipper advice), he then moved on to say the reason i dont phone you anymore josh is your too expensive!!:confused1:......

As he said he can get blokes that just want beer money and are happy to work for £10.00 per hour,

Stuff him. He's obviously a tight arse like all the others who don't pay properly. Pay for the subby should be taken into account with the initial quote, and it should be a proper amount. There are always people happy to work for peanuts, and always people who think it's ok to pay peanuts. It's not just in arb, but all the manual work industries are crap for this sort of thing. What Andy said is spot on.

I totally agree, well he didnt need people with pl ins so i guess that added a bit onto my day rate, well i think to be honest he has earnt his living elsewhere and only does trees to cover his costs (charging the bare minimum) and it shows when you go to work for him, i siad i cant do it for £80 per day sorry, not after all the time and money ive put into to my training, tools insurance etc etc .....

If you are doing strictly subby work, cancel your pi insurance - that'll save some cash.

£100 is fine for your exp. in a year or two perhaps it'll increase to £120?

Anything less than that is a p-take, Considering you don't get 28 days paid leave, use your own kit, maintain it etc.

well i have gone selfemployed and starting to price my own work , advertise etc, so i need my pl cover for that, yes next april i was thinking about changing my day rate to £120, its a job to keep everyone happy but i guess i would rather loose out on one chap rather than slog my B*****S of an earn a loss:confused1:

Stuff him. He's obviously a tight arse like all the others who don't pay properly. Pay for the subby should be taken into account with the initial quote, and it should be a proper amount. There are always people happy to work for peanuts, and always people who think it's ok to pay peanuts. It's not just in arb, but all the manual work industries are crap for this sort of thing. What Andy said is spot on.

well it will work both ways when i get a big job in again i wont phone him, the saying if you pay peanuts you get monkeys springs to mind:lol:, the lads that work for that cant have the same overheads as people like me, good luck for them, Well thanks for all the help, i get the feeling im about right on my day rate, i would rather work hard for a decent wage and only work 3 days a week rather than work 5 days a week and make F**k all:thumbup1: