Cleaning air filters

daltontrees

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the tips. Overnight I have tried soapy scrub then bleach solution soak then soapy soak then bleach again and I am giving it a final wash with soapy water. It's not gleaming but it's as good as it has ever been (I bought this saw second-hand 3 years ago, no operating manual). It will do fine for a while.

There is someone in the States selling new ones for 281 at about £14 inc international postage. I charge out my time to clients at over £20 an hour so I should just buy one and it will pay for itself in 3/4 of an hour of fannying around. But it's the principle of the thing, isn't it? I think I will try the washing machine trick once and the dishwasher after that.

I also have airline envy, got to get me one of those.

Thanks for all the tips. Overnight I have tried soapy scrub then bleach solution soak then soapy soak then bleach again and I am giving it a final wash with soapy water. It's not gleaming but it's as good as it has ever been (I bought this saw second-hand 3 years ago, no operating manual). It will do fine for a while.

There is someone in the States selling new ones for 281 at about £14 inc international postage. I charge out my time to clients at over £20 an hour so I should just buy one and it will pay for itself in 3/4 of an hour of fannying around. But it's the principle of the thing, isn't it? I think I will try the washing machine trick once and the dishwasher after that.

Airlines are great. Whenever I work for somebody with an airline, I always try to take the opportunity to give my saws a really good clean at the end of the day. :thumbup1:

Honestly mate there is no way it should need that much cleaning!

The price you have from the USA is unbeatable, well as long as its a genuine husky part.

Check the mesh against a light as if it was that bad and you have given it that much of a clean I would be surprised if there arent small holes in it or the mesh hasnt started pulling away from he body of the filter.

I think I have one some were . Its the High top one , bit like a 395 only a slightly different shape. Is yours a high top ? If so you can have it .

Get a can of carb cleaner, it blasts all the grot out, dissolves the petrol/oil residues and gets your whites whiter then white:001_rolleyes:

It also gets oil off your jeans so th ewife doesn't have a go:thumbup:

Costs only a couple of quid a can and should be on any work bench along with a can of GT80 - smells nicer than WD40:thumbup:

Thats what I generally use - quick and easy but use in fresh air or ventilated areas and don't smoke whilst doing it:001_rolleyes::blushing: