AFAG revisions

kipperfeet

In a polite fashion - Bollocks.

The onus should be for the HSE to seek out us to get our opinion. Arbtalk has probably the greatest amount of easily accesable industry opinion, so why are the relevant organisations not participating here? why should we have to go seek them out?

i agree with ed.

"The common complaint from those at the top that can effect change, is they don't hear from enough grass roots to effect change."

its not as if they need to leave their office chairs...they need only punch in arbtalk on the computer!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to remember the HSE legislation is all about "arse covering" .

Its not about stopping accidents its just about being able place the blame for the accident firmly on the operator.

If the legislation makes doing our job impractical that not a problem because no one is going to stop you from doing it the way you what, BUT if something goes wrong and you were not doing it THEIR way your in trouble.

This plays into the hands of the big boy's, who are the only ones the HSE consult, as they give their lads a leaflet and tell them they must do it that way. If they don't do it that way and an accident happens then the boss can say "not my fault governor" even though often the time allocated for the job would not allow the recommended method to be used.

i agree with ed.

"The common complaint from those at the top that can effect change, is they don't hear from enough grass roots to effect change."

its not as if they need to leave their office chairs...they need only punch in arbtalk on the computer!

I agree that the HSE (and others) should be listening to the grass roots but the problem is we need to be speaking with one voice.

I wouldn’t dismiss out of hand that the HSE or (anyone else) isn’t lurking here.

The problem the HSE have with approaching or using any one forum is that they could be accused of ignoring others. If they use Arbtalk they will have to give the same prominence to other forums. If they do use a number of forums there is more than a good chance of duplication of effort/threads.

Hence they use their own forum.

Anyone with enough get up and go to use one forum ought to be able to use another.

Andy

I agree that the HSE (and others) should be listening to the grass roots but the problem is we need to be speaking with one voice.

I wouldn’t dismiss out of hand that the HSE or (anyone else) isn’t lurking here.

The problem the HSE have with approaching or using any one forum is that they could be accused of ignoring others. If they use Arbtalk they will have to give the same prominence to other forums. If they do use a number of forums there is more than a good chance of duplication of effort/threads.

Hence they use their own forum.

Anyone with enough get up and go to use one forum ought to be able to use another.

Andy

All valid points but only realistic if those persons feel the net result of finding & accessing those forums & commenting are taken into account and given due weight which is proportionate reasoned & representative to the whole of the field. & lets face most wont bother when there is a clear disreguard of existing rules, Petes post point in case with little or no visable proactive support to those genuine businesses who would wish to comply but due to market presures simply cant .....

My, how times have changed.:001_smile:

They changed cos they had to, the corner-cutting years ago was downright lethal, all in the name of making a fast buck from the Utility work. The time i spent doing line-clearance put me off for good, and i'm glad times have changed. Just seeing the changes when i did the substation courses made me realise things are improving, tho the difference between what you are taught and what is expected by the sub-contract companies in the name of productivity are still as bad as ever, from what I've seen anyway.