Cherry Tree Leaf Loss

18 stoner

As title, there seems to be a lot of Cherry trees in our area that have almost lost all of their leaves. They seem to have all flowered ok then while coming into leaf have died back.

If anyone has any pointers it would be a great help, is it anywhere else in the country? Is it weather/seasonal issues, or even disease/pest orientated?

A typical example below, although I didnt realise the poor quality of the pictures until I saw them on a puter screen!:blushing:

IMAG0706.jpg.aeb215358be0f61dd3d651f112d6a1ab.jpg

IMAG0705.jpg.3184b8fd6416aa2eb10414dfc292000f.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monilinia laxa, a fungal disease affecting leaves and shoots is also likely to be at play I would suggest.

See Blossom wilt / Royal Horticultural Society

As with most visible tree disease symptoms these days there's likely to be a combination of agents, both biotic and often abiotic, and of course oftne finished off by good old 'Honey Fungus'.

Cheers all..

Paul

Monilinia laxa, a fungal disease affecting leaves and shoots is also likely to be at play I would suggest.

See Blossom wilt / Royal Horticultural Society

As with most visible tree disease symptoms these days there's likely to be a combination of agents, both biotic and often abiotic, and of course oftne finished off by good old 'Honey Fungus'.

Cheers all..

Paul

I have looked at quite a few Cherry's recently and have found Pseudomonas syringae pv. morsprunorum and Monilinia laxa both on the same tree, this years Cherry's seem to be quite poor. I'v also planted P avium wips this year and P. syrngae is now showing on the new leaves , I know its widespread and common but do you think I should contact the supplier ?

I have looked at quite a few Cherry's recently and have found Pseudomonas syringae pv. morsprunorum and Monilinia laxa both on the same tree, this years Cherry's seem to be quite poor. I'v also planted P avium wips this year and P. syrngae is now showing on the new leaves , I know its widespread and common but do you think I should contact the supplier ?

Hi, you could mention it but as it's not a 'notifiable disease' and the source could be anywhere it's unlikely they'll act...realistically, what can / could they do?

Perhaps the best option is careful species collection in avoiding P&D susceptible species, trouble is that's an ever decreasing choice.

Cheers..

Paul

What's the likely long-term prognosis if these trees are left untouched? Perhaps the weather could change to conditions in which the trees could put on strong growth and outdo, or at least live with, the infections.

There's a 40-odd year old one at the top of my road looking poor; very few leaves on it but I haven't looked closely for the scatter-gunned appearance so I really have no idea what the problem is. I had thought 'general stress' due to having mown grass up to its bark all its life; it's always lived in a lawn.

Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Thanks for the link too to the other thread, I did try a search but unfortunately it didnt come up:blushing:

So, my way forward?:confused1:

I think, following the information in both threads my best option will be to suggest removal. Knowing the finacial implications of treatment/pruning suggested in the threads, it may be too costly for this particular customer, especially if there is no guarantee of the trees survival.

Also, apart from the deminished canopy,(estimated 10-15% remaining) the tree does have other issues. As you can see in the pics the tree is co-dominant. One of the stems has a lateral wound low down near the main fork, where there is signs of ingress of pathogens, and the other stem has had signs of canker for at least two years now.

Given all advice, combined with other structural issues with the tree and the inclinations of this particular customer it may be as well to remove and replant. Perhaps not the outcome we would all prefer, but I feel it would be the most logical long term option.

Many thanks to all.