Cherry Tree Leaf Loss

18 stoner

I've had a few enquires regards this too. Customers want to retain the trees. They are good formed trees with no problems other than the wilt. So, what shall I suggest? First seen the problem a month ago and put it down to weather/site conditions but I'm seeing it more everyday.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a few enquires regards this too. Customers want to retain the trees. They are good formed trees with no problems other than the wilt. So, what shall I suggest? First seen the problem a month ago and put it down to weather/site conditions but I'm seeing it more everyday.

I don't think the weather has helped at all this year, the early drought has just compounded stressed related issues associated with Cherry trees this year, my advice to clients is that if they wish to retain a Cherry tree with the problems mentioned that's fine, the trees can be looked at again next year, in terms of recommending remedial treatment or pruning work, there is little that can be done, pruning of any sort will only stress the trees more and if anything shorten the trees life, after all pruning of any sort is wounding , any live branch loss will to some extent produce stress and provide an ideal entry point for infection. You should suggest leaving the trees alone this year, explain what you think is the problem, suggest that they begin to think about replacement trees (species selection) and offer to look at the trees again next year. The trees could still last a number of years , even in poor condition ,long enough to establish some new trees in the mean time. Hope that helps.

its the slight change of climate that apparrantly is going to effect all our native trees.

Climate change how ever slight will influence the growth and development of all trees not just native. The big question is which trees will tolerate climate change the best? and the wave of P&D that follow. If I had to name one species it would be native and that would be Acer campestre, Field Maple I cant remember when I last looked at a sick one, I think the tree is well underrated and often not even given any consideration as a feature tree within a planting scheme . Anyone think of any other contenders ?

Hi. I can think of two diseases out of which one may affect the tree. The first one is a fungal disease caused by a fungae Armillaria mellea. It affects the roots of the trees. The infection starts from the roots & gradually spreads to the different parts of the tree. The symptoms are early defoliation & shedding of all the leaves. There is no cure once the disease infects the tree. Just try to cut out the affected area. Another is a bacterial disease caused by a bacteria called pseudomonas syringae. The symptoms are the same as above. Its also cant be cured. Just prune out the affected areas of the tree & apply alcohol on every cut. This will prevent from the bacteria to infect the tree.

• 3 weeks later...
I've noticed this a lot in County Durham. It does look like Bacterial Canker of Cherry like suggested in the above link.

I have recorded what seems to be a similar problem on some younger cherries near Hexham. Please see my thread here for pictures. From what I can tell, it is not canker as there is no bleeding or sap coming from the stem. It looks much more like a fungal or bacterial pathogen affecting just the leaves.

Monilinia laxa, a fungal disease affecting leaves and shoots is also likely to be at play I would suggest.

See Blossom wilt / Royal Horticultural Society

As with most visible tree disease symptoms these days there's likely to be a combination of agents, both biotic and often abiotic, and of course oftne finished off by good old 'Honey Fungus'.

Cheers all..

Paul

From what I have read so far, it seems more likely to be the Leaf Spot associated with Cherry, at least in my case. The blossom wilt seems to affect the whole leaf, whereas in my case there are small spots and shot-holes appearing as the leaf shrivels and dies off. I have also noticed other species, such as Rowan, in close proximity to the infected cherries showing some signs of illness.

I think it must be to do with the warm, wet summer we are having being perfect for fungus and other pathogens, as the sites in question are not stressful for the trees in any other way.

I think I am going to try removing as much infected foliage as possible and burning it, then spraying with some sort of copper fungicide. Does anyone know a good place where I can get hold of this?

many thanks,

Luke

• 2 weeks later...
As title, there seems to be a lot of Cherry trees in our area that have almost lost all of their leaves. They seem to have all flowered ok then while coming into leaf have died back.

If anyone has any pointers it would be a great help, is it anywhere else in the country? Is it weather/seasonal issues, or even disease/pest orientated?

A typical example below, although I didnt realise the poor quality of the pictures until I saw them on a puter screen!:blushing:

[ATTACH]94734[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]94735[/ATTACH]

Yes, we have been seeing this every where, in Northumberland, looking on forum to see if others have noticed this problem.

Drove to coast yesterday to price work, and every single cherry tree looked like your photo, all up A69/A1 and through towns etc, young old, roadside and gardens. Worked on a large cherry in Hexham recently and it was the same. Cannot identify any reason, thought it was to do with late frost.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly the same problem in Aberdeenshire, we have 20+ trees all effected, plus some rowans that are in close proximity, I’m leaving them hoping they’ll recover next year. We had a very long dry spell in March followed (like everyone else) by a very wet summer.

Trevor

Does anybody not think it is insect

Caterpillars have been rife round here and cherries have been hit hard, one thing I have noticed is that on most of them the tip or exposed branches are less affected

The sheltered lower portions of the crown have no leaf whilst the tips look ok

This would suggest to me that the caterpillar, which hangs on a silk, thread didnt like the exposed part of the trees, plus early on the leaves were showing signs of being munched on

I am convinced it is an epidemic of these caterpillars that has caused many cherries round here to be sparce